Angled / rotated annotations

What Wildbook should this feature be in? ACW / all?

What would you like to see?

Working on annotating the hyaena dataset, we’ve realized how helpful one feature is in that system - the ability to rotate the annotation box.

How would this functionality help you?

This would help greatly to reduce the incidence of photobombs with animals that obscure each other in a photo. Angling the boxes allows us to encapsulate two animals more separately than with straight up boxes.
This problem has been a significant in the cheetah dataset and will be similar with other social species in ACW. I know we’d asked about contour-tracing for annotations and that wasn’t possible but what about this ability to angle / rotate the box ?

thanks
Maureen

We are actually working on the ability to rotate images right now; it seems like more and more, the ability to adjust and correct is something needed in at least the admin’s toolkit. This kind of feedback will help us prioritize when we get to the point of building out the toolkit a bit more.

Thanks,
Tanya

Great to hear it’s under consideration, thanks! That said, this idea was proposed by a researcher who is having to correct annotations as she does matching. I can see this being useful at the researcher level but, at least for ACW, it doesn’t make sense at the admin level since we don’t touch the researchers’ data.

Hi @Anastasia, then I will follow up on this topic in this conversation. The last message here was 3 years ago. So that is the reason why I am following up. It would be great to have this feature added to GiraffeSpotter asap. Many thanks.

2 Likes

I agree! I know it’s something we’re working toward, but I don’t have a timeline for it yet.

1 Like