Bulk import image upload progress bar - doesn't always show?

What Wildbook are you working in? ACW

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
When processing a bulk import at the import images stage, once we click on the “upload” button in the popup to confirm the upload of x# of images, the list of images in the window on the page doesn’t always display the green progress bar across each image. We actually thought that feature had been removed but yesterday, I processed an upload and it appeared again - I even got a screenshot:

This was a relatively small upload that I didn’t process all the way to the end because I was just doing it to get screenshots of the process for a user guide on the topic.

What’s interesting is that it doesn’t appear to be the size of the batch impacting the speed of the process that determines whether or not we see the green progress bars because this batch is much smaller than most of the others I’ve processed in the past few months where I didn’t see the green bars.

To reproduce the issue, you’d need to process an image bulk import - I’ve sent the folder of images I was using to the services@wildme.org email address in case that helps.

The green progress bars are really helpful because they give the user a sense of how long the upload will take. Without those green bars, users often get concerned that they did something wrong or that the system isn’t working. It would be great if that feature could show up again on all bulk photo imports to remove confusion.

thanks!
Maureen

cc: @PaulK

Hi, @ACWadmin1 !

My best guess would be that it’s a file size thing?
Maybe it always shows, but it’s usually too quick to see unless the files are on the order of 7.9-8Mb?

Hi @MarkF ark - I thought that but I’ve uploaded much larger files recently and still haven’t seen the progress bars. Any other thoughts?

thanks
Maureen

Nothing comes immediately to mind. Super weird. I’ll stew on it for a bit.
-Mark

thanks @MarkF. It is a puzzle!

Hi @MarkF - I was screen sharing with a user this morning who was uploading a batch of about 85 images. She had a very slow internet connection and did not see any green progress bars.

She expressed confusion and suggested that a popup warning or message of some kind to indicate that the images are being processed and that the screen will change once the processing is complete (but with better wording than that) would be really helpful.

I’m going to put this in as a feature request.

thanks!
Maureen

1 Like

Hi, @ACWadmin1 !
May I close this in light of the open feature request Indicator of processing underway in bulk import of images?

-Mark

Hi @MarkF - yup you can close it. thanks!

1 Like