Inspect button is missing

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 10

What web browser were you using? latest Chrome

What is your role on the site? admin

What happened?
I changed the default # of match results from 12 to 20 for this set. When I went to review the additional results for the 2nd annotation on the page, match results #17, 18 19 & 20 are all missing the “inspect” button. Interestingly, all other match results for that annotation DO have the inspect button.

Match results page: Wildbook for Carnivores

What did you expect to happen?
Inspect button available on all match results

Hi, @ACWadmin1 !

This, curiously, is not actually a bug!
By default, IA only generates side-by-side inspection images for the top 16 results on a match.

We actually hid the inspect button beyond the 16th candidate as part of the fix for WB-1196 (related community post: Inspection issues - #8 by ACWadmin1).

-Mark

Hi @MarkF - per my last note on the other ticket (Inspection issues - #8 by ACWadmin1), I don’t actually understand what WB-1196 fixed. What we were hoping for was that when the inspect button is clicked, on any match result, that it would display the hotspotted inspect result. Clearly that’s not what was changed as part of the fix.

So when I looked up the release notes for WB-1196, I see the explanation as: “Inspect links on IAResults are no longer displayed if there are no results associated.” I’m not sure what that means??

Are you saying that, even though there is a match result proposed by the system, which would imply that even for a lower ranked result (i.e. #17 +), it’s assumed to be not a viable(?) “result” and so there’s nothing to see upon inspection?

If that’s the case then wouldn’t it make more sense to apply the logic to scores below a certain number, rather than an arbitrary # of results? In the case above, the result #17 has a score of 0.115+. I’ve seen correct matches with scores lower than that, which were confirmed with the help of the inspect button.

But maybe I’m misunderstanding the root issue and therefore the fix?

So some clarification would be helpful.

thanks!
Maureen

1 Like

Hi, @ACWadmin1 !
WB-1196 essentially hid the inspect button for match candidates beyond 16, which, to my knowledge, don’t have inspect images due to constraints with image analysis.

What those constraints are and why 16 are questions I don’t know the answer to. I know that a lot of the algorithm assessment occurs using criteria such as, say, “percentage of the time the true match occurs in the top 15”. That’s my best guess. Let me loop in @Drew who might know more.

-Mark

1 Like

I can confirm @MarkF’s intuition. We do not produce those inspection images for results 17 and higher (that number was chosen semi-arbitrarily) because

1. Those images are computationally very expensive to produce.
  2. There would be very many images to produce and save if we made that number say 25 or 50 for every match we run.
  3. There would be pretty low actual utility because not only is finding a match at rank 17+ rare, but since the similarity scores are so low the inspection image would not contain much information anyway.

If you regularly see matches at ranks 17 and above, we could discuss raising the number of generated images. Making the number of images variable per job would not be a trivial change so we are unlikely to add that option.

1 Like