Missing occ IDs in some upload batches

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 10

What web browser were you using? latest chrome

What is your role on the site? admin

What happened? I was spot checking some recently uploaded encounters and noticed in the search table of results that there were some missing Occ. IDs - this is already a known issue for us; when we check the individual encounters, there is usually an Occ ID in the record that just isn’t being displayed in the search table.

However, in this case, I found instances where the Occ Id field in the encounter records says “none assigned”.

What did you expect to happen? The system to assign Occ IDs to encounters in bulk uploads that do not have one assigned in the bulk import spreadsheet.

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
Here are the bulk import task IDs where I found instances of this issue:

1. Wildbook for Carnivores | Login
    Ex’s of missing OccID in encounters from that import:
    Wildbook for Carnivores | Login
    https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=e1dac180-27bd-4837-905d-0c27997ddf2a
  2. Batch: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login
    Ex: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login

Note: I haven’t checked all batches or all encounters, this is the result of a spot check. If there’s a way for you to use the script that Colin used the last time we saw this issue to find all examples of this in the system and correct them, that would be great.

thanks!
Maureen

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report Done

Hi Maureen,

I double checked our code. We do not auto-create occurrences if the bulk import spreadsheet leaves the field blank. Did we document this incorrectly somewhere?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason - here’s where I got the impression that the system will auto-create an occurrence ID if that column is blank in a bulk import spreadsheet: Bulk upload - blank occurrence ID column - what happens? - #2 by colin

Did I misunderstand?

thanks
Maureen

Apologies, that is incorrect. It is a good feature request though. It makes sense.

Thanks,
Jason