Remove Annotation - removes image PLUS annotation

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 10

What web browser were you using? latest chrome

What is your role on the site? admin & researcher

What happened?

Selected “remove annotation” from the dropdown in the gallery and the image itself disappeared

Researcher did this and reported it to me. I replicated the issue with her on a recorded zoom call with me. No mistake - even the “Are you sure” window said “annotation” not image.

What did you expect to happen? Annotation only gets removed

Hello!

Quick summary: this is expected behavior when 1) you delete and annotation and 2) another annotation also exists on the same MediaAsset (as shown in your photo example).

I’ll provide a description of how Annotation removal works when only one annotation is left on an Encounter.

If the annotation is the last annotation on the Encounter AND the annotation is the last annotation remaining on the MediaAsset, we remove the annotation (technically we convert it to a simple Annotation called a “trivial annotation” that covers the whole photo) but leave the MediaAsset on the Encounter to prevent data loss. You could then click “remove this image” to truly remove the photo.

The other case is what you saw and is expected behavior. If you select “remove annotation” and there is another annotation on the MediaAsset on another Encounter, we will remove the annotation from the Encounter (the user told us too and clicked the confirmatuon dialog), and the MediaAsset then is no longer referenced from the Encounter, leaving the Media Gallery empty. The links between MediaAssets and Encounters are Annotations. There is no data loss however since the other Encounter still has an Annotation that references the MediaAsset.

So you are seeing the feature and designed and tested.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason, I hope you had a relaxing, non-work holiday weekend! Thanks for your quick reply on this and for the clarity. I think I understand :crazy_face:

We were trying to use this functionality to “correct” the annotation; so what we should have done is added the “new” (a.k.a. corrected) annotation and then deleted the prior. Which would mean effectively deleting the original encounter because we now have a copy.

I don’t suppose there’s an easy way to undo what we did? I.e. get the media asset back to being associated with the now image & annotation-free encounter record?

thanks again.
Maureen

Was the MediaAsset ever explicitly deleted? If not, it still exists on an Encounter under the same Occurrence. From the base MediaAsset, you can then create manual annotations, which will spawn cloned Encounters and rebuild exactly what you want.

1 Like