"Add annotation" viewpoint list seems broken

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
Windows 10

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
Latest Chrome

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)

What happened?

Hi :slight_smile:
First of all, I would like to point out that I am working on the English version and not in French.
The list of viewpoints proposed when making an “add annotation” now contains French terms in addition to English terms, which nevertheless correspond to the same thing (example: “droite” and “right”). I don’t know how the software will understand this if someone chooses “droite” and someone else chooses “right” :

This is a recent problem because before that there were only words in English.

What did you expect to happen?
To see only the words in english.

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
Try to add an annnotation and look at the viewpoint list.

Thanks for your help !!

Good question. I’m used to seeing Spanish viewpoints in Flukebook when I’m viewing the site in English, but since you mentioned this is a recent change, I’ll check if this is intentional.

1 Like

Thanks @Anastasia !

Yes it is very recent : in the screenshot displayed in the “userguides” I made recently there are only the english words !

It turns out this was not intentional and you helped us to clean up the nonstandard viewpoints in Whiskerbook as well as Flukebook. They should appear correctly now. Thanks!

1 Like

Amazing, thanks for the ultra quick fix @Anastasia !!! :blush:

1 Like

Hi @Anastasia

It looks like it’s broken again (“droite” shouldn’t be there) :slight_smile:


This is fixed (again). Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the fix @Anastasia !!

1 Like

Hi @Anastasia :slight_smile:
It’s happening again, this time “gauche” is back :thinking:


Thank you. I’ll work on it this week.

1 Like

It looks like a Whiskerbook user is manually changing the viewpoint in the URL to create the French viewpoints we’ve seen. I was able to replicate this by:

  1. Selecting a viewpoint (up) and iaClass,
  2. Manually changing the viewpoint in the URL to a new word (tootsies)
  3. Drawing and saving my annotation.

Then when you go back to the encounter and select the option to add a new annotation, you can see the previously added word in the list of viewpoints:

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 9.16.37 AM

I don’t think we can figure out who is doing this, but it’s a good idea to remind users not to do this while we figure out how to prevent it in the meantime.

Wow, this is weird, I really think this may not be not exactly what the user does.

I know some of the users use the “translate” option included in chrome, maybe it can also cause that by changing the word in the list ?:thinking:

Oh, interesting! That is definitely more plausible. I had Google translate the page to French, selected “monter” from the viewpoints, and saw it reflected in the URL.

We had a hard time figuring out why someone would go through the effort of changing the URL in this way. :joy:

1 Like

Ok, we’ve cleaned up the viewpoint list so that it displays fixed values. Previously it would query the database for viewpoints and display what it found in the drop-down menu.

We’ve also made changes that prevent Google Translate from modifying the fields in the Viewpoint and iaClass drop-down menus since for some reason the extension was changing the value of the fields rather than just translating them.

1 Like

Amazing, thanks !!! :blush::+1:

1 Like