Add new species

What Wildbook should this feature be in? ACW

Happy New Year!
We exchanged some emails over the past month with @jason on the subject of cross-applying existing ML models to some new species. We’ve had requests from several sources to add the following species and we’d like to go ahead with them, please:

• Serval (Leptailurus serval): @jason suggested trying the cheetah detector first

• Civet (Civettictis civetta): Jason already did a test of the hyaena detector on civets and it wasn’t great: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login - a couple viewpoints were incorrect and not all civets were detected
    So I’m wondering if we should try the cheetah or leopard detector??? What about lynx - is there a trained detector model specific to lynx? If so, would that be an option?

• Large spotted genet (Genetta tigrina): try our luck with the leopard detector?

• Small spotted genet (Genetta genetta): again, leopard detector?

• Striped hyaenas (Hyaena hyaena): we didn’t mention this to Jason yet but this species was also recently requested by a member of the IUCN hyena working group so we thought we’d include it in this request. I assume we’d try the existing hyaena detector + PIE v2 and Hotspotter for ID? Or would PIE need to specifically trained before it could be cross-applied to a different species?

Please let me know if you need anything else from us.

thanks!
Maureen

cc: @PaulK & @MattW

1 Like

Hi @jason & @anastasia - Not to be pushy but I just wondered if there might be a sense of when this request might be able to be implemented? We have a lot of enthusiastic anticipation building amongst our users for this functionality.

thanks!
Maureen

Hi @ACWadmin1

Striped hyena has been added. I am looking at the other species for what the most appropriate, cross-applied detector might be.

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

@ACWadmin1 Serval support has been added to ACW, cross-applying the cheetah detector model and using HotSpotter for matching.

1 Like

This is great news, @jason, thank you so much!

Quick question for you - when adding a manual annotation, I assume the IA class will show “cheetah” in the dropdown, rather than serval, correct? I just want to be sure to give users a heads up.

It should say “serval”.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Sorry to jump in. I want to try the serval idneitification within ACW, when I fill the spreadsheet I’ve used Encounter.genus = Leptailurus and Encounter.specificEpithet = serval. Is that the correct way to import images of serval in ACW ?

Hi @rhorion - yes, that’s correct for the species fields in the bulk import for servals. Please let me know how you do!

best
Maureen

1 Like