"Add to a existing individual ID" function missing options

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
The Internet of Turtles

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
Windows 10

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
Chrome 92.0.4515.159

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
researcher

What happened?
I can’t use the “Add to a existing individual ID” function. The field autocomple with some individuals that I have, but some simply do not appear.

What did you expect to happen? I have this encounter d55e9d0f-38db-4a21-853c-382c863e7c58 and I want to use “Add to a existing individual ID” and set as MdT124, like this encounter of the same individual b5010f38-3e52-4ba7-9b3f-368ecde5cee9, but I don’t’ have this individual option.

And all other individuals that start with “MdT12” are also missing. This problem also occurs in many other individuals, and the options are missing. Like 111 to 115, 117 to 119, 150 to 153 and 155 to 159

I tried removing the ID from " b5010f38-3e52-4ba7-9b3f-368ecde5cee9" and manually creat the code MdT124 on the two individuals. The system accepts but does not show both individuals on the “Marked Individual MdT124” page. Instead, two separate “Marked Individual MdT124” pages are created, one for each encounter.

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi, @isabellaferreira !
Thanks for posting this. So, usually, when users report failure to see a certain individual in the autocomplete “Add to an existing individual ID” text field, it’s because either their current encounter or the target individual are not designated as the same species.

That does not appear to be the case here. I’ll keep investigating, but if you happen to catch any mistakes in terms of spelling of the species or perhaps something weird like one of the encounters is a different sex from the target individual or something like that, will you let me know? Two pairs of eyes are better than one for stuff like this sometimes.

As for creating a new individual with the same ID as one that already exists, I would definitely recommend avoiding that.

Cheers,
Mark

Hi @MarkF !!

The species of all individuals is correct and were selected in the upload and the sex of all my individuals is “unknown”. The only information I provide that can vary between encounters is the location description and additional comments. I looked at the individuals that are not showing up and the individuals that show up and there is no pattern in those fields that I filled out. All encounters were manually placed following the same steps between yesterday and today.

I don’t know what happened these past few days, but the individuals showed up on the autocomplete. I didn’t make any changes, just ulpoad new individuals and noticed that the options were there.

1 Like

Huzzah!

@isabellaferreira , I don’t know what changed, but I’m going to mark this as resolved and walk away from IoT very slowly.

Thanks,
Mark