Annotation offset in match results - matching against grass rather than animal

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 10

What web browser were you using? latest chrome

What is your role on the site? admin & researcher

What happened?
In match results page, annotation is on the grass below the animal in the original media asset, so matching is not working against the animal:
Match results page: Wildbook for Carnivores

However, the annotation is correctly placed around the animal in the encounter record & when I click on the Add annotation in that record, the annotation still displays in the correct location on the animal

Interestingly, I also notice that although the annotation in the encounter has specified the IA class as wild_dog_ambiguous however there is no viewpoint specified when I hover over the annotation. Same for the other annotation for another wild dog in the same media asset.

What did you expect to happen?
Match results to display annotation in the same place on the media asset as in the encounter record and therefore match against the animal’s body, not the grass below the animal.

This is similar to, but different from another issue we reported here: Same annotations in different places depending on view (related to odd media asset size possibly?) - #29 by ACWadmin1

But in those other instances, the annotation was correctly placed in the match results and so it didn’t impact matching. In this case, it does affect matching and is basically the inverse of the previously reported issue, which is why I’m reporting it separately.

Thanks!
Maureen

cc: @PaulK

Hello!

We are already tracking this issue as WB-1634 and will report back when the fix is ready.

Thanks,
Jason

@jon

Okay, thanks. I wasn’t sure if it was the same issue; sorry for the double entry. Hope this example helps with QA.

cheers
M

1 Like

Hi, we’ve had a new example of this issue occur; thought it might be useful for testing/validation:
Encounter: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login
The original annotation placed by the system detector was too small and so the researcher added a new annotation, which looks mostly complete and correct in the Add annotation screen but not entirely; I think this user, who is very experienced, likely placed it more broadly to encompass the entire animal and maybe the annotation displayed here isn’t quite what she drew. We’ve seen this previously with abnormal media asset sizes - too portrait or too landscape.
However it doesn’t display properly, or the same, in the image in the encounter gallery:

The match results also show results for the smaller annotation that displays in the encounter gallery, rather than the larger annotation that shows in the “Add Annotation” screen:

Match results: Wildbook for Carnivores

Hope this helps the investigation & fix.

best
Maureen