ARW: No Photos being shown under 'Match Results' in projects

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook
What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)

What happened?
We’re checking match results in two projects: Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook | Login and Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook | Login but we’re not getting any photos shown for the encounter nor the matching candidate in both projects.

This is problematic as firstly, we’re always checking the annotation under ‘Match Results’ to evaluate the quality of the matching job. If we find that the annotation is not appropriate, we draw a new annotation and start a new match. Secondly, if we can’t see the match candidate, we cannot decide if this is actually a match or not.
We can check the quality of the annotation on the encounter page but it used to be faster/easier under ‘Match Results’.

What did you expect to happen?
Previously, we would get a picture for both the encounter as well as the matching candidate(s). It would be great to have this back.

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
Just go on the project pages and open some match results. :slight_smile:

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to with the email subject line matching your bug report

HI @Max.Muehlenhaupt

Images didn’t load for me right away for the few I spot-checked, but when I left the tab open for a little while, I could see the candidate image and the match results. This is a pretty large project with over 9,000 Encounters in it, so the long loading time is expected.

Can you share a few of the specific Encounter links that you’re having trouble with so I can verify if something else is contributing to the images not loading?

Hi Anastasia,

yes, indeed the project is very large. I was already wondering if “splitting up” the project into years (~ 7000 encounters per year expected) would help making the work quicker as loading times etc. add up to some significant waiting times.

I have opened the first six match results for both projects (Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook | Login and Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook | Login). Only the first encounter in the first project (the one with >9,000 encounters) showed a photo (Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook). I also tried selecting the specific project under ‘Project Selection’ (Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook) but still no photo shows up for the second encounter. Same for third, 4th, 5th and 6th: Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook ; Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook ; Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook ; Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook . The last encounter has identification Status ‘Pending’, indicating that there is a Match Candidate. However, I can’t see the photo of the encounter nor of the Match Candidate.

I also tried the second project with 894 encounters to see if this problem is a result of the large number of encounters in the first project. I checked the first four encounters without a project ID (no match confirmed, yet): Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook ; Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook ; Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook ; Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook ; Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook . Then, I skipped to the first encounter that had Identification Status ‘Pending’ but again not photo of encounter and match candidate ( Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook )

I’m not the only one with access to these projects that has these problems. Pia.Deimann for example has the same issues.

  • I waited ~20 min for the match results to show up.

Hi @Max.Muehlenhaupt

Thanks for the additional details. I manually re-ran ID on one of the Encounters from the first project to see if the new results loaded images and it worked.

It looks like all of the examples you provided all came from the same bulk 2 bulk imports. I recommend re-running ID on both of the imports and that should resolve the issues with the missing images.

Bulk import from first project: Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook | Login

Bulk import from second project: Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook | Login

Regarding the other issue with the match images loading slowly from the project page, I was able to see the images load after 2-3 minutes on each import. You may want to consider splitting your projects once it reaches a certain number of encounters. I don’t know what the limit is in terms of when it starts to slow down the loading on the project page, but I’ll leave it up to you to decide what’s a reasonable number of encounters to keep in a project that works best with your workflow.

1 Like

Thanks Anastasia,
it worked!

1 Like