Behavior dropdown on submission page

What Wildbook should this feature be in?
Spotting Giant Sea Bass

What would you like to see?
We would like to revert to the dropdown format (which I believe is the Wildbook default) on the encounter submission page for the Advanced Information > Observed Behavior option. We would like the options in this dropdown to match the options available in the Encounter edit page under Attributes > Behavior

How would this functionality help you?
It would create consistency between the data attributes that are submitted by the user and what the research team is able to specify on the encounter edit page. It would limit the behavior options that users can submit to the range of known behaviors. It would also create consistency across encounters so the data could be queried for these attributes more reliably.

1 Like

Hey @mollymorse,
Thanks for submitting this. I definitely get the value, and think we can get this going for you. Regarding timing, it will be easiest for us if we include this with the contract work we have for you later this year, since we’ll be focused on the sea bass platform then. How does that sound?

Tanya

What Wildbook should this feature be in?
Spotting Giant Sea Bass

What would you like to see?
We’d like to give submitters the option to select multiple behaviors in the Advanced Information > Observed Behavior field. This request is related to a previously-submitted Feature Request in which we requested to have this field be a dropdown of predetermined options, as opposed to an open-entry text field.

How would this functionality help you?
This would allow for submissions where multiple behaviors were observed during the same encounter. For example, if a user submitted a video in which a fish was both eating and swimming, or courting and spawning.

I’m going to add this post to the one I just accepted. Same amount of work for us, just different format. That way I won’t forget that they’re related :smiley:

Hi Tanya,

Thanks so much for your prompt response on this request!

I was talking with Colin about this reverting back to the dropdown format and he said that should be an easy fix since that’s the WB default, and that’s a higher priority for us; the multi-select is sort of the next step, slightly lower priority.

Yes, we could consider looping this into our existing contract for this fall. Should we anticipate additional cost implications with developing either or both of these features? Happy to take this over to email, too; whatever you prefer.

Thanks!
Molly

No extra costs, just an easy way for us to settle on timing for it and not worry about it getting lost.

From our perspective, the multi-select is equal effort to the dropdown format. It’s a tiny bit of work and hooking up the existing list of behaviors. We can take care of it all at once instead of doing it staged and save us some effort and you some QA. :smiley:

That sounds awesome, thanks Tanya! Yes, then let’s loop it into the contract. Are you still thinking of the Nov-Dec timeline for that work?

Yep, work starting nov 1 and ending by end of year.