Bulk import is still refreshing status. Upload date: 2020-08-10

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 10

What web browser were you using? latest chrome

What is your role on the site? admin

What happened?
I have an instance of an image in which I believe the detector should have annotated the cheetahs in the image, but there were no annotations on the image (the researcher has since added them manually).
image

I checked the import task (https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/imports.jsp?taskId=1dafff7a-6896-4b51-bd76-5c882bdbea1b) to be sure that it was run through detection and discovered that the system is still trying to complete the import (its status is refreshing every 60sec). It also shows that IA was run.
What’s happening?
image

My standard process for doing bulk imports is to wait for the full batch to show a status of completed before I move on to the next upload. So it doesn’t make sense to me that I would not have noticed this one was still “in progress”.

Not sure but could this be in any way related to this other issue I reported recently? Missing detections on an upload batch where detection was run

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report Done.

Follow up note: This import was interrupted originally and I ended up having to re-upload some separately - bug report: Bulk import stuck @ 54 of 149 images

Could this have negatively impacted detection, in addition to causing the looping status refresh? The researcher has found many images like the one mentioned above without annotations:

https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=86752dd4-3951-4d41-a8ff-463b61a9a12e
image
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=4fe3e88c-1c01-4339-8410-4f150b054146
image
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=02d5f1ad-ca5a-4abf-a70b-08d668cea0f9
image
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=3b5a5095-83bb-468e-b693-130a8faf7aac
image
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=7473cf99-2815-4e1a-9145-662450708ee8
image
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=4be1d6ae-3cb1-4295-9845-36208e92a0f0
image
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=43f8c3a1-c4aa-44fc-81e6-e39dde2e514c
image
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=56692138-f572-4838-9ef7-cb67f650f602
image

Hope that helps.

thanks
Maureen

Hi, Maureen!
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I may need to chat with Colin about this one. I’ll report back asap.
Thank you,
Mark

1 Like

Hello,

I’ve taken a look at this, thanks for adding so much information and links to other issues.

Unfortunately we can only see so much in the history for an import job 6 months old. There have been many updates and a lot of server logs under the bridge during this time. The import interrupt may have played a part but there isn’t enough information to know for sure.

What I can tell is this:

The images were successfully sent to IA, and we got a confirmation back from it. IA then successfully processed the images, and sent back annotation information.

This is where the disconnect happened… The detection information was not set after completion and some annotations remained in a ‘processing’ state, causing the import to refresh while it waited for results.

I was able to retrieve these bounding boxes and set them on the proper images which allowed the import to reach a ‘complete’ state and stop refreshing. All told, 30 new annotations were generated.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @Colin, sounds like a bit of a chore to get through but we’re very grateful - 30 new annotations is fantastic!

thanks again.

best
M