Bulk import questions

Hi again,

Unfortuantly it is assigning our 2023 individuals with our other 2023 data, and not our previous old data (which aldready has assigned specifik individuals).

As mentioned above and in our e-mail thread, we have recieved old data from 2012 to 2021. These encounters have already assigened individuals, which we would like to ‘teach’ the AI with (this is oploaded, but not sent to detection as you adviced). So when we import our 2023 the AI photo identification will tell us who’s who.
Have we done it corretly or has there been some miscommuntiocation? :blush:

Also, we notticed it giving and error message regarding the photo identification.

Again, we really appriciate all the help so far and our very thankful for you time! :blush:

Best,

Nadja & Laura

Please see this morning’s post about the server outage for updates: Outage: January 30, 2024

The outage has been resolved. Let me know if you’re still unable to work on matches.

1 Like

Still the same as commentated earlier. Our 2023 data is matching with our 2023 data and not our so called ‘old’ data, with the given individuals.

Regarding the “Something went wrong with fetching the inspection image” error, that just means it couldn’t load the Hotspotter heat map. It appears to be working now:

I compared a few encounters in this import to your import for Wildbook2012.xlsx and noticed that the Location IDs are entered differently. The 2023 import link you shared has the location ID as “Pilanesberg
: South Africa” and the 2012 import has the Location ID as “Pilanesberg National park
: South Africa”. If your locations are not entered exactly the same, GiraffeSpotter will treat them as unique locations and will not compare the giraffes seen in one against the other.

It looks like on May 9, 2023, I sent you an email asking you to post a feature request in Community for it to be added to GiraffeSpotter. Because the post wasn’t made, the work never started on it. I’ll make a post to track it now so it can be added soon: New GiraffeSpotter Location ID : Pilanesberg National Park

Are you including your user ID in your bulk import spreadsheets? When I searched GiraffeSpotter for Encounters assigned to your username, I got 0 results. You should see your name on the Encounter’s metadata when it’s assigned to you:

Not having your encounters assigned to you means that you won’t be able to confirm matches on those encounters. We can fix this retroactively so you don’t have to delete the imports that are already uploaded, but it’s something you need to fix going forward. You have to include Encounter.submitterID as a field in your spreadsheet with your GiraffeSpotter username in it for each Encounter on there.

I’ll let you know as soon as I have the new location ID in GiraffeSpotter. Then I will work with my team to assign all of your bulk imports to you. ID will likely need to be re-run so that the results all display giraffes from one, single location. I need to find out if we need to handle this step due to the volume of encounters you’ve uploaded in order to not strain the queue for other users.

1 Like

I’ve added Pilanesberg National Park to GiraffeSpotter. You’ll need to enter the name exactly as it appears in the Was this one of our study sites? menu on the submit an Encounter page in your spreadsheet so that your Encounters can be correctly assigned there for future uploads.

I’ll work with my teammates to fix your location data and get your encounters assigned to you so you can work on your matches.

1 Like

Hi Anastasia! Amazing help :slight_smile: Thank you so much!

Thank for fixing our mistake with not assiging Encounter.submitterID and typing the incorrect locationID. We apologize for the inconvience, and really apriciate the help from your team!

Let us know how it goes! :blush:

1 Like

Hi Anastasia!

How is it going? :blush: Is it possible to recieve a timeline for when we can work on our matches?

Best,
Laura

I have a meeting with a teammate today to get an update on this. I’ll let you know as soon as I have more info.

1 Like

Amazing! We really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Thanks for your patience. Your bulk imports have been assigned to you and their location IDs are now all consistent. Now if you re-start a match, it should show you all of the correct match candidates.

You have a lot of data and large bulk imports, so I don’t recommend you re-run ID until you’re ready to review those matches to prevent overloading the job queues.

Hi Anastasia
Thank you so much for fixing the location IDs.

We’ve been re-running the identification on the 2023 dataset and the results are still only comparing with the 2023 data. We were wondering if this has something to do with the prior data from previous years (2012-2022) not having gone through detection, as we have previously stated.

If the detection is the issue, is there a way in which we can fix the detection being stuck at (0/X) images? We tried to submit the 2021 images for detection to see if it fixed the identification, but it seems to be stuck.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ah, that’s a possibility. We’re reviewing images that have missed detection in GiraffeSpotter and will ensure those are complete on our end. As soon as I have a status update, I’ll let you know here.

1 Like

We’ve restarted WBIA and it’s gradually getting through detections that were previously missed.

We’ve also enabled the MiewID algorithm in GiraffeSpotter. It’s been tested on reticulated giraffes, but has not yet been tested on Giraffa giraffa. As you review your matches, let us know if you see improvements in match candidate suggestions with MiewID compared with Hotspotter.

Thank you!

So our 2023 data (our non assigned individual) is still matching to 2023 data, instead of our ‘old data’ (individual assigned data). So we have now sent it all to detection.

We are confused why we suddently have to send our ‘old data’ (individual assigned data) to detection, because last time we asked this, we were told not to send the ‘old’ data til detection and identification.

Sorry for the confusion! I asked @tanyastere about this because it didn’t sound familiar and she said that may have been part of an earlier conversation where your imports were too large and the detections were lagging due to their size.

Hi Anastasia,

Everything seems to be working after all the old data has been to detection. The only upload that is stuck in detection now is “Wildbook2017.4”. Can you force it through detection from your end? Then we are all set for identification

Again, thank you for all the help throughout the process

Hi @lpurlund

I checked about 10 Encounters from this upload and none of them have photos. You may have uploaded the spreadsheet and skipped the photo import.

If you meant to include photos with this import, you’ll need to delete this import and upload both the images and the spreadsheet in a new import.

Hi Anastasia!
We just recieved our first identification, and we are EXTREMELY impressed! We are over the moon of how well it works. Thank you again so much for your help. Your AI tool is truly an amazing and impressive tool, that works great! We are very pleased with the results. :smiley:

We have a few requests and questions:

1. We are missing the last detections for 2023. They havn’t gone through yet. Can you take a look?
    Wildbook for Giraffe | Login

2. It is saying that the identification process isn’t done, although it looks finished?

3. Could you explain and elaborate the score system, or send a link where we can read about this in detail?

4. Also can you help us delete this import (Wildbook2017.xlsx) :
    Everytime we try it crashes.

Thanks!
Best,
Nadja & Laura

Also!
Can you help us merge individuals. We have many cases like this, can you somehow fix it? :slight_smile: