What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
This bulk import appears to be a leftover of the disk drive failure issue as it was uploaded 3/30 and is still stuck at 0/20 detections complete.
Since there is no ability to re-run it through detection from the front end, could someone please re-send it to detection from the back-end, please?
I’ve checked the bulk import spreadsheet and it looks fine, which doesn’t surprise me bec this user is using some custom R code to generate the spreadsheets and has uploaded many many sightings using the same code without issue.
Getting error messages on match results pages. This wasn’t on the list I sent @jason after the drive failure so wouldn’t have been re-run by him. The user tells me that it’s been sent to identification at least twice now, last time on 2023-03-30: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login
I’m waiting for links to additional imports that are also still experiencing issues post-drive failure. When I get them, I’ll add them here.
PS. When I check the handy ACW dashboard @jason gave me access to, the ML queue appears inactive (although the server is up):
@jason@Anastasia - I’m seeing match results coming in for the 2 jobs mentioned above that were stuck in ID. However, the initial bulk import listed above still needs to be pushed through detection, please