Bulk upload - AlternateID field is not consistently being populated in encounter records

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 10

What web browser were you using? latest Chrome

What is your role on the site? admin

What happened?
Did a bulk upload of a batch of photos with the same occurrence ID & same other metadata. In addition to the other data consistency & error issues reported today in other bug reports, in this case, the AlternateID field was inconsistently populated. Some of the encounter records for that upload have the Alternate ID field populated correctly and some of the records have empty Alternate ID fields. This is a problem in all uploads done that day. The alternate ID field should be “MB_MMABARBIE”

What did you expect to happen? Correct, complete and consistent data capture in the encounter records generated from a bulk upload

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
Search on any of the following 3 occurrenceID’s:
843e3f2a-89c8-4891-a266-5517bdb99aa8
038a61ae-c9c4-4fbd-9281-9eb60b114f81
2746b115-4873-438c-b198-99cbb377397a

I can provide the upload spreadsheets used upon request since unable to attach here.

Was this part of the same upload as the issue reported here:

https://community.wildbook.org/t/bulk-upload-occurrence-id-still-not-always-displaying-in-encounter-record/134

Tanya

It would have been in one of the three uploads I did that day, yes. I have not checked data across each of the 3 uploads to see if the problems are all in all 3 uploads. I can forward my 3 upload spreadsheets if that helps.

Here’s a screenshot example, using Occurrence ID: 843e3f2a-89c8-4891-a266-5517bdb99aa8

Here’s a screenshot of another batch upload with the same issue. See OccurrenceID 2746b115-4873-438c-b198-99cbb377397a.

Hello,

Yes, please send me the excel file where this occurred so I can test it locally.

Thanks.

Hello,

The encounters missing the alternate ID as desired for this import were generated by the image analysis pipeline when the imported encounters were sent to detection, This happens in the case of multiple animals being found in one image that is attached to one encounter.

Alternate ID in many cases is a sense of identity for the individual featured in the encounter, and therefore we do not by default copy it to multiple records because it would be similar to calling multiple animals the same name.

I understand that alternate ID is being used slightly differently here and it is desired for these records. It is also an older database field and we have much better facility for individual naming flexibility now. I’ve made a change so for ACW only it will be propagated to encounters generated by image analysis. This change is live on the server and will apply to imports going forward.

Thanks.

1 Like