Bulk upload - occurrence ID still not always displaying in encounter record

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 10

What web browser were you using? latest Chrome

What is your role on the site? admin

What happened?
Bulk upload of a folder of images, all with same occurrence ID. OccurrenceID shows up in search results table but shows blank (“none assigned”) in encounter record. This is not a consistent result across all encounters from that upload with that occurrenceID. It is showing up in some of the encounter records from that upload.

Ex. https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=d4148996-4f78-4fec-aba6-207811584241

What did you expect to happen? All uploaded fields should display correctly in the encounter record

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? Use link above and view search results for that occurrenceID = 843e3f2a-89c8-4891-a266-5517bdb99aa8

Hi there,
I’m trying to validate what you’re seeing and I’m worried I might have some steps out of order or not understand what you’ve said.
I have visited occurrenceID = 843e3f2a-89c8-4891-a266-5517bdb99aa8 and tried to find the encounter you posted.
That encounter, based on a comparison of the metadata in the encounter and the encounters associated with the sighting, is not associated with the sighting.

Is the issue that this encounter was uploaded with this occurrenceID, and it did not associate correctly, even though other encounters did associate correctly?

Tanya

The encounter link I posted SHOULD have all the same metadata as the others in that sighting but, as you point out, it does not, unless I’m misunderstanding something.

I clicked on the image to get to the Parent MediaAsset ID link. I may be misunderstanding how this works and what it’s displaying but when I click on the last “toggle zoom” button, the dog that is specific to that encounter record is displayed in the picture box. When I look at the data next to and below that “toggle zoom” button, I see the correct Occurrence ID. No idea if this is relevant (as in, another place where the data is correct, where in the encounter record itself, it is not) but thought I should point it out.

So now I’ve pulled out the relevant row from the upload with the image in that encounter link (IMG_3807.jpg). Below is the data from that row in the upload spreadsheet. You’ll see the OccurrenceID in the first row below and the image name below that. You can see that, based on the information I uploaded below, associated with that image, then the encounters from that image should all have that same metadata. Again, unless I’m misunderstanding something.

843e3f2a-89c8-4891-a266-5517bdb99aa8
IMG_3807.JPG
moremi 2nd bridge
gab.cozzi@gmail.com
WantedPoster_Folder145
Africa - South Botswana
gabriele
2018 11 5 8 45
unapproved
Lycaon
pictus
BPC
MB_MMABARBIE

Hello,

This turned out to be quite the difficult bug, but it should now be fixed. The updated functionality is now deployed on ACW and should prevent this happening in the future.

I created some scripts to repair affected occurrences and have run them on the above referenced record 843e3f2a* and the single occurrence from the excel file in the alternateID support thread- 2746b115*.

Please send me any more occurrences or imports affected by this and I will repair them also.

Thanks.

1 Like