Compare a photo with selected individuals

What Wildbook should this feature be in?
All of them maybe ? It would at least be extremely usefull in whiskerbook.

What would you like to see?
We often know which 3 or 4 lynxes frequent an area of ​​the mountain range. The software searches the entire database and sometimes does not find any relevant results.
It would be extremely useful to have a kind of “visual matcher”, to be able to compare the photo by eye with photos from the same viewpoint of this or that lynx which we know often frequents the area. In this case the software would display the pictures with the same viewpoint, as it does in the match results, with the photos side by side and the possibility ideally of scrolling through the photos.

How would this functionality help you?
It would save us a lot of time by not having to do it “by hand” and outside of the software.

We actually have this feature available already! When you click on the menu icon of an Encounter photo, select the “visual matcher” option. It was originally used for matching manta rays before computer vision was available, but it sounds like it may also work for your use case.

Thanks @Anastasia :slight_smile: This looks very cool !!!

Is there a way to filter a specific individual, please ? For example if this individual is in “Ainqua” territory and I want to compare him to Ainqua :

What would be really helpful would be to have a list with all individuals to select only 1 lynx to filter.

Or even better, something like that :

1 Like

It doesn’t look like searching for an individual here is possible.

I suspect a feature request to add it could be unlikely since considering its limited use. I’ll let @tanyastere weigh in on whether searching for a specific individual within the visual matcher is something we’ll consider.

Oh too bad, it’s really a very important feature for researchers working on territorial animals, and the biggest part of it already seems to exist !

All that’s missing is the filter per individual. I suspect it’s not easy to add, but it would be so useful !!