Confirm match/merge error?

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
Seal Codex

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
Microsoft 10 education 10.0.19044

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
Chrome

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
researcher

What happened?
Recognition program found a match. When confirming the match and clicking “merge”, it somehow lost the individual Phs216. I can’t find it with search anymore.
https://seals.wildme.org/sightings/23fcb881-23f1-431b-ad2f-fb613dab6961#overview this is the sighting which program offered as a match for this sighting: https://seals.wildme.org/sightings/44c6ad71-1d9d-40a2-be72-86464604b545 animal 1.

In older sighting from 2016 you can still find in researcher comment, that it has been recogniced and named and approved: “Submitted on Thu Oct 06 12:21:42 UTC 2016 from address: 193.167.41.1 Meeri on Thu Oct 06 12:22:33 UTC 2016 Added to newly marked individual Phs216. Meeri on Thu Oct 06 12:23:31 UTC 2016 Changed state from unapproved to approved.”

I’m sure that before clicking “merge” Phs code and name “Iisakki” were showing normally.

Piia

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @PiiaMutka,

I was updating tags in the forum recently and it may have made recent posts less visible. I’m adding this reply to bring it back toward the top of the forum timeline. Thanks for your patience while we research this!

Tagging @jason to help me research this one. I also can’t find Phs216 in the list of individuals. Is it somehow possible it was merged with a different seal and no longer searchable under Phs216?

Digging deeper into this merge…will report back.

Hi @PiiaMutka @Anastasia

We found a bug, and we are testing a fix. We should deploy it early next week.

Long story short: in merging two individuals in Codex: if any exception/problem was encountered in the merge process, the old Sightings may end up in an unassigned state. Solution:

• make sure any data problems during individual merging don’t leave sighting in an unassigned state but rather rollback to the original individual gracefully

• Reassign all sightings of PH216 back to Ph216

More soon and thank you,
Jason

1 Like

Thank you!

If I remember correctly, the thing with merging was that I didn’t have the rights or permission to all sightings involved in the merging process. I see I don’t have editing rights to all other users, for example for Public user. Will that be a problem also in the future when trying to merge?

Piia