Consider for next gen - eliminate click-able annotations related to deleted encounters

What Wildbook should this feature be in? ACW + all?

What would you like to see?
First, here’s an example of what’s described below, current functionality: https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=7f2cc817-0b73-49eb-96c3-9db23bad263b

I’m sure this is working as designed but I find it a confusing and can see it leading to some frustration for researchers.
I deleted 2 of 4 encounters from an occurrence (one of which is clearly a log) and when I go to one of the remaining encounters, the thumbnail image still displays not only the annotations for those deleted encounters but also the viewpoint & “unknown individual” label as well as the clickable blue arrows. The latter leads to essentially an “enter encounter number here” page, which makes sense under the circumstances.

I understand that the annotations follow the media asset but it’s confusing to display as clickable in a remaining encounter thumbnail, after the related encounters are deleted.

From a user experience perspective, the person who did the deletions may not remember the next time they view one of the remaining encounter, especially if it’s long after the deletions occurred. Also, other researchers who view this would not be aware of the deletions and so they could click on these annotations that need deleting to go delete those records before realizing that they’ve already been deleted.

I think it would be better to somehow disable the click-through on these annotations or provide some other indication that these annotations are no longer connected to encounters in the system.

How would this functionality help you?

It would reduce confusion and frustration for researchers who see this kind of thing in the system.

There is so much wrong with trying to navigate through that MediaAsset that I don’t know where to start.

First and foremost, I’m going to say absolutely. The change in how annotations and MediaAssets display should help to resolve some of the weird overlap and other madness going on. But additionally, a true delete should be available for annotations. If we trust you to make them, we should trust you to remove them. I’m going to tag @brmscheiner to make sure he has visibility into this incredibly confusing issue.

2 Likes