Country not getting populated in system generated (cloned) annotations

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 10

What web browser were you using? latest chrome

What is your role on the site? admin

What happened?
I’ve seen this quite a few times but always during a demo/working session so haven’t had a chance to catch and report it. I think it’s happening only in system generated / cloned encounters that are created when detection runs on an import batch and automatically detects additional animals in an image and creates an encounter.
What we’re seeing is that the country location isn’t getting populated along with the other metadata from the original encounter record / bulk import row:

Here’s the encounter link where the country is missing: https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=7168cc94-caaa-46d5-b23a-ba6d8c35f736
Here’s the encounter link for the original encounter, where country is populated: https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=6971284a-8f1c-4fe1-9ead-2c064fcc7aaf

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report Done

Thanks
Maureen

Hi, Maureen!
We got your bulk import spreadsheet; thank you. However, I couldn’t find the media asset filenames in the encounters in the spreadsheet. E.g., I was looking for CCF_NaChM8_HQElan_2017-Jun-27_23-12-20_20170627-231220-OSRoadE-Playtree318.JPG, but the spreadsheet looks like it has media assets from november, december, and october, but no June. Is it possible that you sent the wrong spreadsheet?
-Mark

Hi @MarkF - sorry about that; I sent the leopard ID spreadsheet instead of the cheetah ID spreadsheet. I’ve just forwarded the latter to the services email.

thanks
Maureen

Hey @ACWadmin1 !
Not seeing this in the inbox yet. No pressure; just wanted to confirm that this hasn’t been sent yet.

Weird because I hit send before I finished that reply. Anyway, I’ve now forwarded it directly to your email address. Hope you don’t mind : )

Hi, @ACWadmin1 !

I’ve reproduced this issue, and it’s being tracked internally as WB-1593 now. Good catch!
-Mark

1 Like

Hello,

I have a fix for this deployed. Future automatically cloned encounters should share the same country field as the original.

Thanks.

Hi @colin - thanks for the fix. Does that mean that for all other, pre-existing cloned encounters in the system, we have to fix them manually? And until then, the use of the country as a search filter won’t include results that are currently missing the country? If so that’s thousands of records. This also affects exported datasets.

Can you recommend a way of finding all of these blank country fields in the system currently? I can’t leave the search filter for country blank because that doesn’t return blanks.

Could a script possibly be created to address this? I’m sure ACW isn’t the only wildbook that this bug has affected.

thanks!
Maureen

Hello,

Correct. This clones the encounter country field going forward but does not have any way of correcting already cloned data.

You can’t search only for things that lack a certain field currently, there isn’t an “NOT” clause for the search parameters.

It’s would be technically possible to create a script for this but it’s not a simple one. @tanyastere and I are discussing some possibilities, and evaluating other fields on encounter for whether they should or should not be cloned.

Thanks.

1 Like