Detection does not happen

Dear Wildbookteam,

unfortunately i have a little issue and it would be great if you could help me out.

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
https://amphibian-reptile.wildbook.org

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
→ Windows 10

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
→ Opera

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
→ researcher

What happened?
→ after importing the bulk import sheet and the pictures i started the detection and since sunday nothing happend. The counter (refreshing results) continously counts. However the status is 0/60 until now.

What did you expect to happen?
->i expect, that the after a view a short time the detection ends and i can continue with the next step

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
->The previous step was completely correct and there was no problem. The bulk import did not throw an error. The images loaded perfectly.

the number of the task: Import Task 03f30363-41d7-43cb-9456-ef22739a99c9 (2023-10-22) if it is helpful

thanks a lot for helping me.
best regards,
Eugen Neumann

Hi @EugenNm

Thanks for emailing your spreadsheet. Encounter.locationID needs to be an exact match from the available location IDs from the Submit an encounter page. You may want to use Encounter.verbatimLocality instead to enter location details that aren’t in the location ID menu. A full list of available fields and their descriptions are in our help docs.

That said, I don’t think this is impacting your detection job. I just wanted to point it out since using field incorrectly in the spreadsheet can result in missing data from your Encounters. I’ve manually forced this import through detection and I’ll keep an eye on it to verify it completes.

When images go through detection, they’re assigned an acmID that’s basically like an entry ticket that allows them to pass through WBIA for identification. For some reason, only 59 of your 60 images have received acmIDs and that final one is preventing detection from completing. We’re still working on the cause and will follow up if we have an update or any additional questions. Thanks for your patience.

Dear Anastasia,

thank you very much for helping me out with that.
I will follow the instructions for the next pictures i upload.

best regards,
Eugen

1 Like

Hi @EugenNm

We were able to get this import unstuck; thanks for your patience! One of the images appears to be corrupt and was causing the rest of the import not to complete detection.

We also looked at your latest bulk import and also noticed it was getting stuck in detection. We rolled out an update to the ARW bulk import page that will let you know if there are any errors with your images and link to each one.

When I click through the list of images with issues and then click on the image to enlarge it, I can see a white bar alongside the image that could indicate corruption. Can you let us know if these were present in your original files or if this happened only after your import?

1 Like

Dear @Anastasia

These gray or white bars didn’t exist before. It must have happened during a process in Wildbook.
I’m wondering why it got stuck because I did the same procedure as the first time. I also took the pictures with the same device.

However, thank you very much for helping me.

If there are any further questions, let me know. :slight_smile:

Thanks for confirming! I’ll let my teammates know so we can look into what could be causing this to happen to the photos.

Can you send us an email with the following photos to services@wildme.org?

• FRD230076.jpg
  • FRD230077.jpg
  • FRD230078.jpg
  • FRD230079.jpg
  • FRD230080.jpg
  • FRD230081.jpg

I checked the images again and found that the images were already previously corrupted. I’m really sorry, that was my fault.

No worries! I’m glad we were able to figure out the source of the issue.

What would be the next step for me regarding the last import? Should i remove the grey bars by cropping the image and try to upload the pictures again? Or is it necessary to delete the affected photos?

Did those images come like that straight from the camera? If they did not, try to get the original images and upload those instead.

The issue was not that there were grey bars, but that in this specific instance it was a visual indication that the photo file was corrupt. Cropping the image won’t change that.

If those are the original files, you can delete those 6 Encounters from the bulk import so that the others can complete detection. To do that:

• click on the Encounter link from the bulk import table
  • go to the Metadata section of the page and click the Edit button
  • scroll down to the red Delete Encounter? button and click it.
  • go back to your bulk import and repeat for the remaining images.

Not sure how to tell which image from the list goes to which Encounter?

Click on the image link from your bulk import:

Look for the Encounter ID:

Match the first part of the Encounter ID with your bulk import table:

Unfortunately, they came like that from the camera. However, if i delete this pictures i have to rename all other pictures etc.Instead, I’ll take a screenshot of the cropped images in the OS, which should fix the problem.
Thank you :slight_smile:

Sounds good! You can delete this import and try importing again with the updated photos.

1 Like

Thats exactly what i going to do right now.

1 Like