EDIT button is missing in the Identity box for one sighting

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
Internet of Turtles

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
Windows 10

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
Chrome 90

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
researcher

What happened?
For one of the sightings loaded onto the database, The EDIT Identity button doesn’t appear, so I am unable to approve the encounter. I uploaded a second encounter and everything worked as normal

What did you expect to happen?
To be able to edit individual turtle identity

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
I’m not sure, but this is the encounter page, where you can see the EDIT button is missing in the Identity box : https://iot.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=2b63a9ed-f2a1-44ce-8a3b-fb8db8508e76

Hello Rowan,

Please try editing this encounter again. If the ‘Identity’ menu is still unavailable, please try a hard reload of the page with CTRL-F5 or by opening and logging in again with a private or incognito window in your browser.

Was this submission one after a longer string of encounter submissions? It looks like the submitter ID wasn’t set, which usually happens if someone adds an encounter after accidentally logging out or being logged out due to a break in activity.

I’ve set you as the submitter on this encounter now. Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks!

Thanks Colin,

It’s working now. I did notice that I hadn’t been added as the submitter, but forgot to include the info in my report. I think I know what happened after your comments - I’m still new to using the platform and I actually had the database open in two separate windows because I was trying to record a video tutorial for students on how to upload sightings and showing them how I manage the backend in the project I’ve set up for WEI to manage the Sodwana Bay turtle database.

I was logged off in one of the windows and logged in in the other window so I guess this likely interfered with the process? I will bear in mind for the future!

Thanks for the help and all the best,

Rowan

Hi Colin,

Sorry to ‘bug’ you, I just tried to upload an encounter while not signed in, because I wanted to see if other users would be able to specify project when uploading a sighting… however I had uploaded some previous sightings whilst logged in, so it’s done the same thing again. Can I ask you please to set me as the submitter for this sighting so I can edit it? I tried the CTRL-F5 and incognito windows but they didn’t work.

I’ll make sure not to make the same mistake again!!! Out of interest, if I were to open the browser and start by uploading a sighting whilst not logged in, would it then take my details to include as submitter?

Sorry for the repeat offence!

best,

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

It’s no problem. I’ve set the submitter ID on this encounter as well. The CTRL-F5 ect will only make a
difference if your browser has cached a previous state of the encounter.

Out of interest, if I were to open the browser and start by uploading a sighting whilst not logged in, would it then take my details to include as submitter?

Nope, you must be logged in to have control over the data. If you simply fill out submitter info without being logged in to an IOT account you will see this same result- you are credited, but the data is not editable.

Thanks!

Thanks Colin much appreciated!

1 Like