Error when assigning a new ID to an encounter

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 10

What web browser were you using? latest chrome

What is your role on the site? admin & researcher

What happened?
I removed an encounter from a Marked Individual (CH00153). This individual didn’t have any other encounters assigned to it. When I tried to add the same encounter to what should be a new ID (for the system) - CH00153, I got an error message. If I try to add it to the same ID (CH00153) under “Existing Individual ID”, I can’t because it’s not in the list.

What did you expect to happen?
I expected to be able to add it to the ID CH00153.

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
Per above with this encounter record: https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=4c264e96-2de6-4ab0-9829-ff2b3182e559

PS. @tanyastere, believe it or not, I hit this issue at 4:36pm on Friday, lol

1 Like

Hello! When you remove the last Encounter from a MarkedIndividual, the individual is deleted to prevent 0-Encounter individuals from remaining forever in the database and inflating searches. You can just re-renter the old ID in the “Set new individual ID” field to re-create the individual and re-add the first Encounter.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason - I thought I did exactly that: “Set new individual ID” on the now un-assigned encounter, using the same ID that it had previously CH00153. That’s when I got the error. What am I missing?

Can you please send a screen capture of what you saw?

Based on your description:

If I try to add it to the same ID (CH00153) under “Existing Individual ID”

You should get an error, because the individual you removed the Encounter from was deleted since it was the last and only Encounter of the Individual. You shouldn’t be able to add the Encounter to the same ID via Existing Individual ID. You would need to enter CH00153 into “Set new individual ID”.

But first I tried to add it as a new ID “When I tried to add the same encounter to what should be a new ID (for the system) - CH00153, I got an error message”

Here’s the screen capture:

Ah. The system is trying to prevent you from creating a new ID when that annotation is already assigned to CH00001.

Here’s the Encounter causing the block:
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=e5a29923-e836-42f3-9d99-beab5fcc5292

That annotation can only be associated with one ID.

That’s interesting! Weird that it was able to be associated with 2 different ID’s upon upload - why would it allow it on upload but not after? This was one of the data integrity issues I was trying to walk the researcher through so she could resolve it. I guess it’s resolved now.

It’s also one of the issues that should be readily surfaced with the tool suite that’s in development. So good news all around.

@jason - so should I simply delete this encounter record altogether?

Up to you. It does sound like it’s a duplicate.