Hangs on Search Results for Species

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? Sharkbook

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) Ubuntu 22.04

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) Firefox v.113

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) admin

What happened? When I entered the species name [Notorynchus cepedianus], it hung on Search and never returned results and other tabs were unresponsive

What did you expect to happen? Search to give me Encounter records

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? Search for ‘Notorynchus cepedianus’ Encounters

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @scubapro25

It think Sharkbook may need a quick reset as the site isn’t loading for me at all right now. I’ll post an update when it’s back up again.

Thanks for your patience!

Sharkbook has been restarted and is now working properly. I just did an Encounter search by species for Notorynchus cepedianus and saw results right away.

1 Like

Thanks, Anastasia, for your prompt reply!

Sorry, I went back and it still seems to be hanging on Encounter Search Results–please see attached screenshot. I’m thinking perhaps I should try another browser, besides Firefox–like Chrome? I also tried clearing my cache.

See also the screenshot here:

I think Sharkbook is trying to take another mid-day nap again because it’s happening for me, too. Sorry for the churn! I’ll have an update shortly.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, Anastasia–much appreciated!

Mike

1 Like

Can you try your search now? The site’s back up again.

Nope. It’s still hanging as before. I’m thinking of trying Chromium.

Let me know if switch browsers helps. I’m able to view it in Brave and Firefox. Jason verified that it’s up and running normally.

Can you post the URL from the page you’re stuck on so we can dig in more?

Sure, here’s the page we provide to a link to Sharkbook from [https://sevengillid.org/], but the issue is in the Sharkbook Admin page.

This is the page having the issue: [Sharkbook: Wildbook for Sharks | Login]

Installing Chrome now…will update you here.

Ohh, I think I know why you’re seeing no results now that I’ve taken another look at your screenshot. You’ve searched all Encounters and then used the search field above the results to look for just the species.

What you want to do instead is search Encounters, expand the Observation attribute filters section and then select Notorynchus cepedianus from the Genus and species are drop-down menu and then submit your search.

That’s an interesting bug you found though! I’ll see if it’s been reported already.

Edited to add: Nope, it looks like just searching for approved encounters does this too. I’ll need more time to see what’s happening, but I likely won’t have another update until tomorrow

Ah, OK…good to know, Anastasia–thanks! I’ll try your suggestion and reply back here.

Got it! We’re back in business–thanks so much for your help! Sorry, it’s been a while since I’ve logged into SB!

1 Like

No worries! Funny that Sharkbook being offline happened to be a separate, unrelated issue but I’m glad you were able to find what you needed!

1 Like

Just a quick follow up to let you know that searching in the original way you did (search all encounters, then filter by keyword) now appears to be working. I think yesterday’s restarts helped get it working.

1 Like