Image corruption post submisison

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? SeadragonSearch

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) MacOS 11.6.8

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) 104.0.5112.101

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) admin

What happened? a submission that was initially successfully submitted had images that corrupted the next day

What did you expect to happen? the images to remain as they were

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? don’t know, but the link to the one it happened to is here. i have made a new submission for these images that I retrieved from the submitter, so do whatever you want to this submission.
https://wildbook.dragonsearch.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=766fbb28-a361-41ec-b409-5b238d653fdb

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Argh, sorry, not what I thought at al! I did process this submission successfully, but it has apparently left a ‘ghost’ submission in the unapproved submission box. and the ghost has corrupted images. this is weird… the ‘normal’ version of the now-approved submission is here SeadragonSearch.org
I’m happy if you think we should just delete this and see if it happens again. I’ve never seen this happen before…

Hi @NeridaWilson

I looked into this. The drive has plenty of space, Image corruption is not something we seeoften, and when we do, it generally is related to a lack of space to write the image. In this case, there was plenty of space.

I next looked in the directories and found only 0 kb jpeg files. There were no child media assets (lower resolution images that display faster in the web), and detection was not able to run because the images were 0kb. So all in all, it looks like we received corrupted 0 kb images and were never able to do anything with them. There is no evidence that they were later corrupted.

I also tried a test submission, and the image was not corrupted. I deleted that test encounter.

All in all, I cannot reproduce this, and it looks like the images arroived as 0 kb corrupted images. Please let me know if you can reproduce. Otherwise, I think we’re OK and the ghost encounter can be deleted.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @Jason, the images definitely did not arrive as corrupted, because there is the normal version of that submission is approved and available at this link. It’s just that somehow after approval, a shadow/ghost unapproved version popped back into the unapproved encounter pile. Thats why I first got confused. but the correct original submission is here SeadragonSearch.org