Image part outside annotation used for match suggestion

What Wildbook are you working in?
Amphibian & Reptile

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?

and

as well as

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
Heatmaps for matching suggestions number 2 (individual BGBI_23-5098) and number 3 (individual BGBI_23-4378) both show that the match suggestions are based on portions of the image outside the annotations of the candidate images (in these cases, a coin that we place next to the animal for size comparison).
[None of the matching suggestions are correct matches for this encounter (this is not the issue, but I am adding this for clarification).]

Based on this example, we are now wondering if it is necessary after all for us to review the automatic annotations for all encounters, and - in case a part of the fire salamander is not included - to re-draw a manual annotation (which has been our modus operandi so far) - because for matching results, apparently areas outside the annotation boxes are assessed as well.
So to clarify the question: can we save time by simply not reviewing and correcting automatic annotations?

1 Like

That’s interesting. Let me check with my teammates to get a better understanding of what’s happening here.

Updated post to a bug report and added a ticket for it. There seems to be something weird going on with WBIA related to the orientation network we need the machine learning team to dig into.

Thanks for letting us know about this! Feel free to check the ticket for updates.