Issue: 2 different individuals annotated in same encounter

What Wildbook should this feature be in? ACW

What would you like to see?
The ability to specify when adding a new annotation that I want it to have a new encounter record.

How would this functionality help you?
I’m trying to clean up some lion annotations in a bulk import and I’m finding that the system allows me to add more than 1 head part/annotation per encounter. This is a problem because the 2 heads belong to different lions:
Ex: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login

I believe that this is intentional functionality for Wildbooks where multiple photos are added to a single encounter however that creates an issue when there are also multiple animals in a single image - there’s no way for me to force the system to create a new encounter for the separate individual.

The lion detector misses lion heads fairly frequently, particularly in photos with more than 1 individual in them, which is VERY common, particularly in tourist images. If I’m not able to get the system to create a new encounter for every extra head annotation that I need to create, then that restricts me to only being able to ID 1 animal per photo, which severely limits our lion ID functionality.

So some way to either have the system not allow multiple lion head parts per encounter or, preferably, to allow me, the user, to tell the system: when I add this new head part, put it in a new encounter record, not the old one, is what I’m looking for.

Thanks!
Maureen

Hi @ACWadmin1

Wildbook intentionally allows multiple parts annotations for an animal (even heads, though that’s more likely to be seen in ARW or IoT). The best workaround for when you need a second encounter when there are two lions in a photo is to annotate the body first, then create the second head annotation on the cloned encounter.

Hi @Anastasia, I’d love to use that workaround but we don’t currently have the ability to add a lion body annotation. If that could be set up, I’ll ensure our lion users are aware of the workaround and use it.

Without that capability, there’s currently no way to separately annotate and then identify more than 1 lion per image, which is extremely restricting with such a social species.

Hopefully enabling the facility to manually add a lion body annotation is a simple change for the developers to make.

thanks
Maureen

Interesting! That sounds like a bug to me. I’m updating the post status and I’ll follow up when I have an update to share.

1 Like

Hi @ACWadmin1

This should now be supported. You should be able to annotate a lion body (lion), which will then split the new body annotation to a new Encounter. On that new Encounter, you can then annotate the head (lion+head), which will remain on the Encounter with the body annotation.

Can you please give it a try?

Thank you,
Jason

1 Like

Hi @jason, it works! One question: the body annotation appears to be set to being matchable - see this encounter as an example.
Is there a reason for that? If not, it should probably be set as non-matchable, for now…

thanks! This is a massive help for lions!

Maureen

Hi @ACWadmin1

I have left a message in the dialog and removed the “Match” button to let users know that this isn’t a bug but rather that this annotation class has not yet been configured for matching.

Do you think this will work for users?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason, that’s a decent workaround; I’m sure some will miss it and ask us anyway but if that’s easiest then I’m fine with that.

I’m curious though, why we don’t just make it un-matchable, like with wild dog tail parts?

thanks
M