Match result not loading

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? Flukebook

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) Windows 10

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) Google Chrome

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) Researcher

What happened? When I open the Match result, the page doesn’t show any results. It only happens with some pictures. I tried waiting, but I let it load for up to 45 mins and nothing changed.

What did you expect to happen? To load the pictures with the algorithms’ scores

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? Watch this:

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @PaolaLacetera,

That was a helpful video. Thank you!

If you re-run the match, do you see a new set of results? The effect you’re seeing generally happens when looking at an old match for which much if the data has been removed (such as deleting a bulk import).

If the re-run of the match does not resolve the issue, please post the new link to the match results here, and we will investigate.


Hi @jason ,

I tried to re-run the match, but nothing changes (you can see it in this new video if you want: I am linking the new match results here as well: Flukebook. I hope this is what you meant!

Anyway, this encounter is not part of a bulk import. I uploaded it a couple of days ago together with some more pictures (about a hundred), using the “report an encounter” option and not the “bulk import” one. I had the same issue with some more encounters I uploaded together with this one.

Thank you,
Paola :slight_smile:

Hi @PaolaLacetera,

Re-running the match did produce results free of the issue:


Hi @jason ,

Thank you! It works now, even though it is weird because I did try re-running the match quite a few times before writing on the community and even in the following days. But anyway, it works, so thank you again.