Matches found but list only flashes then disappears & match images don't appear

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win10 + Mac

What web browser were you using? latest chrome + Safari

What is your role on the site? admin & researcher

What happened?
http://www.africancarnivore.wildbook.org/iaResults.jsp?taskId=59feea72-0581-4dd7-a652-68292838e3a5&projectIdPrefix=None%20Selected

• User ran matching
  • Match results page opened and briefly a flash of 2 match results displays before the target image appears over top
  • system states that matches were found:

If you refresh the match results page, you can see the same brief flash of the 2 proposed matches before the target image opens over top of them

What did you expect to happen?
That the proposed matches be displayed in a list as well as images shown on the right of the target image

thanks
Maureen

I’m not sure what caused this issue. I could see exactly what you described, but on re-running the match I received the result as expected.

http://www.africancarnivore.wildbook.org/iaResults.jsp?taskId=959cb41b-d999-4cd7-ac9f-ce714cda1c85

The upgrade may have fixed this, or this may have been the result of some interruption in data between the back end and front end. I am not quite sure. I will mark this as resolved, but please feel free to re-open if you experience this again.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason e’ve seen this again. We haven’t re-run matching here so that you can see what we see with the current match results. Briefly 3 (I think) match results flash on the page and then disappear:

https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/iaResults.jsp?taskId=e7098c32-ec81-4215-a219-471e4c2b475b&scoreType=individual

Thanks
Maureen

This one is reproducible. Thank you.

The issue is part of the interplay between Wildbook and WBIA. In this case, the user selected to match against their data and Botswana. On the Wildbook side, that matches 0 encounters. So technically, there is nothing to match against.

Wildbook sends that to WBIA, and WBIA defaults to “well then if you don’t specify anything, I’ll match against everything”.

WBIA returns the superset of all potential matches (including old annotations that were deleted in WIldbook long ago), and Wildbook displays them, but it also looks at each matched annotation and says “does this still exist in Wildbook” and removes matches that are non-existent. Thus the three potentially matched annotations from WBIA disappear leaving an empty set.

So while we’re discussing internally whether WBIA should change its behavior when it is not given a set to match against or whether Wildbook should intercept and report back fast that “nothing matched your criteria”, the empty results you’re seeing are still valid: there are no matches from that User’s personal data and from Botswana (in combination). A message to that effect from us would be polite though! :slight_smile:

@brmscheiner @colin @parham Good food for thought on how Codex/WBIA should behave when the user selects a match-against criteria set that has 0 things to actually match against.

Ticket WB-1165 has been filed

@jason good point, I think it would be best to catch it before the job is kicked off

Hi @jason - not sure if this is the same or a related issue but we have received an example of a set of match results where 2 of the results have scores but no images are displayed (matches #7 & 8): Wildbook for Carnivores

I kicked off “start another match” from the same annotation in the same encounter and once again, got 2 match results with scores but without images (match results #2 & 3): Wildbook for Carnivores

I thought I’d reported this previously because I remember seeing it happen before but this ticket is the only one I can find with a similar report. So hopefully this is the right place to add this additional example.

thanks!
Maureen