Matching not doing anything?

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 10

What web browser were you using? latest chrome

What is your role on the site? admin & researcher

What happened?
Tried the steps below logged in as admin first then researcher:

What did you expect to happen?
Something to display on the match results page, even if just a “no matches found”.

By the way, one of the researchers in S Africa was running matching earlier today and reported that matching seemed to not be working - around noon PT. I was out walking the dogs and when I got back, I was able to successfully kick off a match so I didn’t report this then. Now I’m wondering if it could be related? Here’s the screenshot she sent me:

Thanks
Maureen

Hi Maureen,

This looks like a tail annotation (“wild_dog+tail_standard”) that was manually created.

I don’t believe tail annotations are configured for matching in ACW. It looks like the user clicked “Start match” and then clicked through the dialog even though no algorithms for matching were presented. The result is an empty match page because no matching was configured.

I have created ticket WB-1564 to close this small loop, but there is a workaround. In this case, please remove the erroneous tail annotation and manually create a wild_dog body annotation for matching.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason - thanks for clarifying. It makes sense and I should have realized what was causing the issue bec we know that tails aren’t set up for matching currently.
This raises an interesting point - we could technically add a body annotation and a tail annotation but we can’t currently link the latter as a part of the body annotation, if I understand this correctly. But we’d like to be able to do that - see @PaulK’s feature request in Feb: Need manual assignment/linkage of tail (part) to body annotations

We can do it in the WBIA system but not in Wildbook. Do you know if this is on the radar as an enhancement? @PaulK said he saw a similar feature request by a user from another wildbook (IoT maybe?) Anyway, thought I’d ask.

thanks
Maureen

Updated ticket link: Manual annotation for unmatchable annotation still allows "Start another match" option. · Issue #276 · WildMeOrg/Wildbook · GitHub