No green dotted line annotation in encounter w/ 3 annotations in it

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 10

What web browser were you using? latest chrome

What is your role on the site? admin

What happened?
I was looking through some encounters from a particular sighting and came across one that doesn’t appear to have an annotation associated with it, even though there are 3 annotations on the media asset

What did you expect to happen?
To see a green dotted line annotation in the thumbnail in the gallery to indicate which animal is the subject of the encounter record so that I can run matching

thanks
Maureen

Hi, @ACWadmin1 !
This looks to be a “CloneWithoutAnnotations”, judging from the audit logs. Here’s the “parent” encounter: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login.

As for why there is a cloneWithoutAnnotations, I’m not sure at the moment. I’ll ask about this, but it very much seems intentional.
Cheers,
Mark

Hi @MarkF - how is a “CloneWithoutAnnotations” created? I had no idea it was possible to create an encounter record without an annotation in it.

Back to learning something new every day!

thanks
Maureen

Hi, @ACWadmin1 !

Back to learning something new every day!

You and me both haha!

Ok, here’s what I’ve gleaned from conversations with Jason H and Jon:

A cloneWithoutAnnotations call is essentially the precursor to creating a new Encounter when detection finds two annotations in an image, with the second annotation then being added to the cloned, empty Encounter.

Cloning without annotations is not in itself an end goal, but rather a step in the process of acknowledging that two or more annotations were in an image handled by detection.

We suspect that what may have happened here is that the annotation that generated this cloned encounter was then later deleted, so we highly suspect that this is safe to delete.

Hope this helps?
-Mark