Norppagalleria.fi crashed (502 Bad Gateway)

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
www.norppagalleria.fi

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
Chrome

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
admin

What happened?
Suddenly it only gives “502 Bad Gateway” when I try to open site.

Hi @PiiaMutka

We resolved this early this morning. There has been some talk on the WWF side about migrating this to a newer, multi-species seal Wildbook soon. Would that be of interest to you?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi,

Thank you for your help last time!
Norppagalleria has had same issues now several times and is again today giving 502 bad gateway -error. It has been down from the morning, at least 6-7 hours.

Last time I’m sure that happened was 26.8.2021 in the morning/noon in our time in Finland. It lasted couple of hours maybe, but worked fine later afternoon again. I have also marked to myself that the same thing happened 20.8.2021.

Since I’m working in University of Eastern Finland, I can not discuss about migrating the site to newer Wildbook, but I have informed also WWF that Norppagalleria has had frequent issues lately for some reason.

Best Regards, Piia Mutka

Hi @PiiaMutka

I restarted the server, and it is back up.

We’re seeing this more and more on this server, which is lagging behind other Wildbooks in getting features and fixes due to the WWF customized code. I think last we spoke, Justus @WWF was open to migrating the server to a more modern Wildbook without the custom branding, and we’re looking to build a Seal Wildbook soon. Would you be interested in a more modern, collaborative platform?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi,

We are having the same problem this morning, 15/09/2021.
502 Bad Gateway.
Since the last fix, it has been working quite well.

Vincent

Well, it seems to be back on now…

Hi @Vincent

We’ve been monitoring web traffic, lowering the number of queries needed on some of the landing pages, and even putting the gallery behind security temporarily. These have somewhat lowered the time between crashes but not stopped them overall, which has helped us largely rule out excessive web traffic from a web crawler. Web crawlers have temporarily caused issues with other Wildbooks before, but never this long.

We’ll keep restarting the server when we see these, but we may need to rebuild the server as it is looking more and more like incompatible Linux software, possibly from any recent upgrade of the operating system. The cause is not an obvious one.

Rebuilding the server will need to get scheduled in our upcoming workload if it needs to happen.

Thanks,
Jason

Galleria is again down with HTTP status 500 -error.