Norway is not in list of locations in Flukebook

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? Flukebook

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) Windows 11

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) Chrome

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) researcher

What happened? There is no Norway in the selection menu for Location

What did you expect to happen?

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

It seems several countries are not, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark are also not there…

Hi @ShaneGero

I can add Norway to the Location IDs for Flukebook.

Edited to add: Do you also need Sweden, Finland, and Denmark added or just Norway? New location IDs are considered feature requests, so if there’s more than one that you need right now, let me know so I can handle it in a single update.

Hi @Anastasia, Thanks sure adding those to LocationID would be nice because it enables the automatic launch of matching, but they are also missing from the “Country” dropdown menu, and it seems like that should just be a comprehensive list of all nations, no? Since “Country” is separate from LocationID and doesnt trigger matching?

Ah, I see what you mean. Let me see what I can find out.

Edited to add: It looks like Flukebook keeps separate menus for Country and Location ID while other Wildbooks have a single menu for location ID. I’ll need to do a little more research on how the two work together on our end so I don’t break anything when I make an update. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

sounds good. Yes, I wasn’t sure either, until I noticed that locationID launches matching automatically.

When I last was aware, the difference was “Country” was a list of all nations just to define the submission (but then verbatim location was added after I think), and “LocationID” was pre-defined research site ID (which was mainly populated from those more intense researcher contributors to the platform). But this has clearly changed as Flukebook has grown…but Im pretty sure that was the genesis of the two distinct fields

I’ve learned that the Country drop-down menu is mostly deprecated, so any updates to locations can only appear in the Location drop-down menu.

I’ll work on it this week to get Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark added.

New locations have been added to Flukebook:

Arctic Circle

• Denmark
  • Finland
  • Norway
  • Sweden
1 Like