Privacy settings changed?

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? SeadragonSearch

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) reporting on behalf of multiple users

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) multiple

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) admin

What happened? In the last weeks, users have reported seeing a change in the information supplied when they are updated on the status of a dragon they have found before. Fields that they used to see are now obscured.

What did you expect to happen? They used to see the location, the photographer, the submitter, the date. Now these are no longer visible.

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? I’ve attached a screen shot of what they see now.

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

I know we’ve been working on security improvements to Wildbooks recently. Let me find out if this change is related.

Hi @NeridaWilson

Thanks for your patience! I’ve verified this is intentional as it was part of the broader security updates made to Wildbooks.

Do you want us to roll this back for SeadragonSearch? I know some degree of visibility is desirable when an active citizen science program is involved, so let us know if you find these changes prohibitive to that effort.

Hi @Anastasia, thanks for checking into that! In terms of the automated updates sent to participants when ‘their’ animal has been resighted, we would like to restore visibility to that data. Would it be possible to get an overview on what other aspects were restricted at the same time so we can check if they should remain as they are too? Maybe that was the only function that tightened up privacy? thank you!

Let me work with my teammates on this for you and I’ll follow up here.

hi @Anastasia, just checking in to see what you have found. People are keen to get this functionality restored. thanks!

Hey @NeridaWilson thanks for your your patience.

In your screenshot, this encounter is assigned to you: https://wildbook.seadragonsearch.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=034d8af2-48bf-4241-bc35-1e226388f44e

It’s correct for that information to be obscured because this isn’t a public Encounter.

However, we looked at a recent public encounter and saw that one was equally restricted. In attempting to tighten up security, we’ve introduced a bug that made public data a little too secure. I’m going to write up a ticket for this and post the link here when it’s ready.

Here’s the ticket link: Public Encounter data is too restricted · Issue #416 · WildMeOrg/Wildbook · GitHub

Thanks @Anastasia . just checking though- the location data should be restricted if its ‘just’ anyone public exploring/not logged in. but if its via an update on an encounter the person being notified should be able to see location. That was my understanding anyway!

Just to clarify, if someone was logged out and viewing a public encounter, they would have seen the same information whether they accessed it from a link in their email or found it while exploring the site. Wildbook has always checked whether a user is logged in or not and then determines what information to display based on that status.

ahh ok, no worries. then we need to hide * Location description

• Location ID
    thanks for the clarification