Rewarding citizen scientists

What Wildbook should this feature be in? SeadragonSearch

What would you like to see? We would like to reward participants for reaching submission milestones. Is there a way we could be alerted when contributors reach set milestones eg 100 submissions, 500 submissions, 1000 submissions, 5000 submissions… Also, is there a way we could get this info manually now? We kind of know the people who are likely to have done 1000 or 5000, but the lower two milestones would mean a ton of manual searches for us. Are you able to help us with that for now? thank you!

How would this functionality help you? It would help people feeing recognised and motivated to participate

If requesting a new location ID, include

• Is this is nested beneath another location in the hierarchy?
  • Is there a prefix for region-based naming? (optional)
  • GPS coordinates (optional)

Note: Not all feature requests can be accepted, but all of them are reviewed by our product team. We’re unable to provide implementation timelines for accepted requests. We are a small team with many competing priorities. Thanks for your understanding!

Hey Nerida,
After poking around, I think you could do this now with an encounter export of the full platform, then filter the excel by the submitter. Not particularly clean, but I think it’d give you the access you need immediately.

As for a submission leaderboard overall, that should be doable as an open source ticket if we scope it pretty small.

We could add milestones to each user in the system (1, 10, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000, etc is a common pattern for gamification purposes) and then we could track the date a user achieved a milestone. It wouldn’t account for unidentifiable encounters, since we’ll be working from a simple count, but it wouldn’t be hard to do.

Would something like this work?
Tanya

Hi Tanya, thank you so much for this. I think the raw export would be fine for me to play around with for immediate access, but I only get time outs when I try to do this myself. If you are able to email me that file, that would be very helpful!
Then moving forward, that submission count board would be perfect…but I’d probably want to keep that just in the back for admins if thats ok. And we would want to keep it simple (100, 500, 1000, 5000). Thanks so much!

1 Like

@tanyastere I get a 504 Gateway timeout error when I try to save the the standard export encounter file, too.

I think this feature would come in handy for Sharkbook.ai too if at all possible

2 Likes

@NeridaWilson and @Anastasia I’ve sent an export via email. I encountered the 504 as well, but ran the search again and it went through. Taking this consideration elsewhere for testing.
@NeridaWilson Yes, this would be an admin-only table; sorry if that wasn’t clear.

As for the simple vs standard gamification milestones:
As we go forward, we’re working on in-house development being as simple as possible and broadly applicable. That means that if there’s a standard method of implementing something, we’d like to stick with that. Especially since this is an admin dashboard where you’d be able to ignore the early milestones, I believe sticking to the standard milestone method is the way forward.

That being said, I’m calling this “Accepted for open source dev” and we’ll get a ticket drafted and put out a call for assistance among our regular contributors.

(@Sarah_Aus_SpotaShark thanks for the vote as well!)

-Tanya

1 Like