Right viewpoint assigned on manual annotation (3x) but new annot. shows only the left viewpoint

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 10

What web browser were you using? latest chrome

What is your role on the site? admin

What happened?
A match candidate appeared in a set of match results and it had the incorrect viewpoint - it was assigned as a left viewpoint instead of right:

So I went to the source encounter, added a new annotation with the correct right viewpoint:

After I clicked Save and opened the new encounter, I clicked on the image to see if the correct viewpoint was now showing and it doesn’t - it’s showing as left only. I repeated this 3 times and each time the only viewpoint showing up in the keyword list is the left (I assume from the original incorrect annotation on the same image) - Wildbook for Carnivores | Login :

I ran matching on the new annotation and the match candidates are all, correctly, right viewpoints.

What did you expect to happen?
That the keyword list would update to include the new right viewpoint of the new annotation, per the viewpoint I manually assigned when I created the annotation.

As far as I understand, the viewpoint assigned on a manual annotation doesn’t show up when you hover over the image in the gallery of the encounter. So, as far as I know, the only way to know what viewpoint has been assigned to that image is to look at the keywords. But in this case, the keyword list doesn’t include the right viewpoint so there’s no way to know what viewpoint is on that annotation.

I realize that the keyword list contains all keywords on that media asset so maybe that’s not the best way to reflect the viewpoint on manual annotation but it needs to be somewhere. In this instance, I was confused by the only keyword showing as left. Users will be similarly confused, I think.

I hope this makes sense. I believe the keyword list should reflect the manually assigned viewpoint.

thanks
Maureen

Hi Maureen,

I understand why this would be desirable. You have hit on one of the areas of difficulty-
keywords on the asset instead of the annotation. If detection finds multiple animal annotations
in a single image, it could have multiple viewpoint keywords.

Further, the keyword does not have a record of the action that created it. There is no way to find a viewpoint keyword from detections to manipulate automatically and exclude other keywords created in other ways.

For now, the best way to deal with it is to remove previous viewpoint keywords and create new ones once you make a manual annotation.

The addition of keyword creation to manual annotation is more of a feature request. For our next generation platform Codex, we have certainly discussed issues like these and are starting out with keywords available on annotations.

Thanks!

1 Like