SDRP catalogue numbers mixing with DSWP sperm whale catalogue numbers?

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? Flukebook

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) Windows 11

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) Chrome

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) Admin

What happened? There are a number of SDRP (which I assume is Sarasota Dolphin Research Project) Catalogue numbers showing up in sperm whale marked individuals that have only ever been seen in Dominica.

What did you expect to happen? I assume because the code number is the same, some cross over is occuring? Perhaps this is happening because of some new code which tries to link unmatched, but similar named individuals???

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? This is one example: like this one: Flukebook
This is a good example as this whale has only been seen once.

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

The “Other values” field usually notes when an animal’s ID was changed and lists any of its old names here.

Looking at the two encounters for the individual you linked, these Encounter records were originally created in 2013 and were migrated to Flukebook so I don’t have an audit trail to reference that would point to when the name change may have happened in the past.

Are the other records you’ve seen this happen with also with older Encounter records?

Im not sure if its only on individuals which started pre-flukebook, but its new on the encounters and the marked individual pages. Here is another one: This is the sperm whale 5722 ‘Fingers’ from our project, but has sightings from other groups, and other accounts submitting them – *** but importantly but there is a bottlenose dolphin named ‘SOAP’ from SDRP also in flukebook and strangly the SDRP and the Other nickname from the bottlenose dolphin are now on this sperm whales page.

If you use the search bar beside your account picture in the top bar of the homepage, and search ‘5722’ both the sperm whale 5722 ‘Fingers’ (Physet) AND 5722 ‘SOAP’ (Tursio) both show up. But it seems like somehow the nicknames and research projects has seeped into the sperm whale encounters and marked individual pages. But the sperm whale nicknames and research org do not show up on SOAP’s pages or encounters.

So not sure whats going on??

FINGERS the sperm whale 5722: https://www.flukebook.org/individuals.jsp?id=70d56c79-5379-404c-afae-51816cec446d

SOAP the dolphin 5722: Flukebook

I’ll let you know what I find out. I know that Wildbooks will allow duplicate names when the species are different, but it should be keeping the data between the two separate. I’ll post an update as soon as I have one.

1 Like

Hi @ShaneGero

It looks like this is a result of the dolphin researchers making corrections in their taxonomy and IDs when they mislabeled their individuals and not a bug in Flukebook. Unfortunately some researchers have mistakes in their data and this is one of the drawbacks to working within a collaborative platform.

ok understood, but I don’t have a “collaboration” on flukebook with SDRP, so how can they edit my encounters?

The edit never occurred on your encounters, but on theirs while it had the incorrect ID assigned. Those name updates are what’s reflected in the Marked Individual page.