Several annotation issues in Whiskerbook

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
Whiskerbook

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
Windows
What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
Chrome
What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
admin and researchers

What happened?

I’m coordinating the zoo test and so there are 16 people testing the system out. These are some of our most frequent bugs so far.

1. The detection algorithm creates extra encounters that had two annotations, but when trying to delete the yellow frame of the extra annotation it led me to a blank page.

2. I removed and then added annotation to the image. But the VIEWPOINT didn’t show in the annotation after I saved changes and reloaded the page.

3. One pic didn’t have an annotation. So I created it but still the Viewpoint was not displayed.

What did you expect to happen?
Well, the annotations would not be empty encounters with no images linked to them. The annotations would be able to be manually set to left/right

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
It seems the detection algorithm issue creating an extra annotation leading to a blank encounter page with no image is not widespread although two volunteers reported at least once this happened to them, so it really is a bug.

The annotation issue being inconsistent and some of the annotations being wrong was reported by a couple of people and I let them know they could correct it although it was a minor issue on only a few detections. A couple of people reported being unable to manually set the viewpoint of the annotation. I told them this was a minor issue and I would report the bug and to correct the annotation and continue to use the PIE and Hotspotter.

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi Eve,

#2 and #3 look like the same known issue: manually created annotations don’t display the viewpoint on rollover. Every time we have checked this, the viewpoints are correctly stored in the database, and this ends up being a caching issue (database not browser) that later resolves. I believe the viewpoints are there and will be used for matching (we haven’t seen an example where they were not stored), but I would need a direct link to confirm.

#1 I need a direct link to the Encounter to dig further. I am a bit worried that your use case of users with duplicate data may expose more of those. Wildbook does some de-deduplication of Annotations when they come back from detection and this may be an artifact of multiple users uploading identical data and then being at various curation states with it, which is not a supported use case of Wildbook. To workaround this, each user’s data (specifically their photos) may need to be slightly altered (even 1 pixle differences avoid deduplication) to essentially fool Wildbook into allowing duplication, otherwise we may see more of this. That’s just a hypothesis until I get a link to this specific Encounter.

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

Okay great, thanks for the update. I will report back to the team.

Also for #1, I have done the watermarking to avoid de-duplicates and it seems to have worked for the most part. I no longer have seen the same errors in the Hotspotter or PIE results interfaces, so the deduplication worked.

I will ask around again to the team to see if anyone encounters this that they send me a URL for this.

1 Like