Sighting link in Encounter page - error message - record not found

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) Win 10

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) Chrome

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) Admin

What happened? Conducted a search of sightings, selected sighting to see Encounters, when in an Encounter I selected the sighting ID to go back to Sighting - got error message “Record did not exist”

What did you expect to happen? to go back to sighting so I can see all Encounters in Sighting

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? Try the Sighting shown above

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hey @PaulK,
I have started looking into this issue and have one question before I can really dig in: did this come in through bulk import or did you manually add the occurrence ID to the encounter?


Hi Tanya

This came through a Bulk Import.



Well that confirms it! We’ve got a discrepancy between how manual input and bulk import bring in occurrence IDs. We’ll get this addressed as quickly as possible. We’re tracking this under WB-773.

Update: the good news is that this is just an URL encoding issue. The ‘+’ symbol in the Occurrence name is breaking the link to the Occurrence, but the data is sound and won’t need fixing. Just how we interpret the + sign (and other special characters).

I think we’ll need to disallow special characters in the Occurrence ID in the future because they can also cause downstream database issues on queries.

We’ll work on the fix.


Thanks Jason

Let me know what are banned symbols/characters and we will be sure to filter for them in future.

Also, if we need to we can rename the sighting ID on these encounters manually, or just delete them and redo the upload without the @#$%^ + sign. :slightly_smiling_face: