Spot a Shark Australia - cannot edit encounter IDs

Speaking with Sean, I understand that Australia used to be able to edit the Encounter ID so that they could have something meaningful like “FR10DEC27U” added so that we had an easy mechanism to search for sharks from a particular site ID on a particular date, and see whether they were hooked or unhooked. However, I am unable to edit the encounter IDs.

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? Spot a Shark Australia

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) Microsoft

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) Chrome

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) Researcher

What happened? Cannot edit the encounter ID

What did you expect to happen? Able to edit the encounter ID

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? Please can you add an edit field for us - since @Sean_Aus_SpotaShark an no longer edit either.

Hi, @Sarah_Aus_SpotaShark !

Encounter IDs themselves can’t be edited and never could be.
However, users should be able to add an alternate ID to encounters that they have edit rights to (see image below):

I hope that this makes sense? Are you able to do this for any of your encounters?

Hi @MarkF Yes I have been using the Alternative ID as the nickname, and so this is a slightly different thing.

Let me check with Sean as he was of the opinion that the Occurrence ID could be changed into something more meaningful.

@Sarah_Aus_SpotaShark just to anticipate any confusion, alternative ID is on the encounter rather than on the occurrence (despite the misleading spacing in the screenshot above).
-Mark

Hi, @Sarah_Aus_SpotaShark !
I confirmed again with Jason and Tanya today, and they’re also thinking you mean alternative ID. I’m told I’m supposed to encourage y’all to use Individual names instead.

I’m going to mark this as resolved. Let me know whether to change it back to “under review”!

Thanks,
Mark