Stuck in detection

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook
What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
Windows 10
What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
Firefox 116.0.3
What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
researcher, orgAdmin
What happened?
about a week ago I sent the bulkimport Nr. 93751a48-dad3-4644-b179-7012dadafe7b to identification. Since then it is stuck and sais
Data Import Status: complete
Computer Vision Status: detection requests sent (215/216 complete). Each detection job in the queue is currently averaging a turnaround time of 0 minutes.
What did you expect to happen?
it shoud complete the detecton request
What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @FSA_Lorenz

Welcome and thanks for sending your spreadsheet!

I did notice a few issues with your spreadsheet, but it’s not related to your import getting stuck in detection. I’m only flagging it here so you can decide whether to delete and re-import your data or manually update the encounters.

In the Encounter.sex field you have several rows that list “sub-adult” here, but the only recognized inputs for this field are “male” “female” or “unknown”. “Sub-adult” would typically be entered in the Encounter.lifeStage field.

I’ll follow up here when I’ve verified that the import is ready for identification.

Hi @FSA_Lorenz

I think the spreadsheet you sent me was for a different import. The one you sent me is called “03_WildbookImport” but the spreadsheet for import 93751a48-dad3-4644-b179-7012dadafe7b is called “Wildbookimport08”.

One of the encounters on the import listed the genus and specific epithet as “Salamandra Salamandra” instead of “Salamandra salamandra”. These fields are case-sensitive, so when it’s entered incorrectly, it can cause issues with the import. We located the encounter, fixed the species, and resent it to detection.

1 Like

thanks for highlighting it! I will heed it the next upload

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Anastasia!!! I will pay better attention next time

1 Like

Hi Anastasia, I have a question regarding the sex/lifeStage issue.
We are using “sub-adult” as sex for individuals that are post-metamorphic but are (likely) still too small to be partaking in reproduction. If in the future, we use “Sub-adult” as Encounter.lifeStage and “unknown” as Encounter.sex, would this work during the mapping of search results (would there be different colours for sub-adults)? Also, would this affect the identification process (would sub-adults be matched with adults)?

Good question! Let me see what I can find out for you.

Potential match candidates are displayed based on their species, location, and viewpoint. So the life stage and sex wouldn’t change who appears in your match results.

I’m not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if the life stage field can also include its color?

Yes, because an individual photographed at different stages of its life is still the same individual whether it’s photographed as a juvenile or an adult.

Potential match candidates are displayed based on their species, location, and viewpoint. So the life stage and sex wouldn’t change who appears in your match results.

Ok, so at the moment, in a bulk import, we use “Post-metamorph (yellow/black pattern)” in “Encounter.lifeStage” for all individuals once they have left the water (finished metamoprhosis). Should we use “Sub-adult” for small individuals instead (and for sex “unknown”)?

I’m not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if the life stage field can also include its color?

Sorry, I was not clear enough about my question. Under Search Results, we can map our results and use different colours for sex (blue - male, pink - female, grey - unknown/sub-adult). It would be great to have a colour for sub-adults (like green).

Correct. Here are screenshots from ARW’s Report an Encounter page that show the set of options for Sex and Life stage:

Thanks for clarifying. That sounds like a good candidate for a feature request post if you want to make one.

1 Like

Correct. Here are screenshots from ARW’s Report an Encounter page that show the set of options for Sex and Life stage:

Alright, what would the entry in a bulk import sheet be for sub-adults under “Encounter.lifeStage”?

Sal:post-metamorph

I learned that part of the issue stems from ARW not validating all of the bulk entry fields. That’s why it’s been accepting entries like “Post-metamorph (yellow/black pattern)” for the Life Stage instead of “Sal:post-metamorph”. I’ve reported it as a bug and created a ticket for it: Bulk import does not validate all imported fields · Issue #317 · WildMeOrg/Wildbook · GitHub

Based on this previous Community post, the species prefixes were added to the life stage options as a workaround for differing life stage needs for toads and salamanders.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Manual annotation viewpoints for salamanders in ARW