Total # of media assets (in relation to total # of encounters) doesn't appear correct

What Wildbook are you working in? ACW

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
“My Account > Learn more about the encounters assigned to your account > Number of matching encounters” as compared to the Number of media assets collected

An organization is trying to obtain statistics from ACW regarding the total # of media assets, encounters and individuals of each species and of all species that they’ve uploaded to ACW to date.

In looking at their total #s specific to wild dogs, there should be a larger # of encounters than media assets under certain of their users who have only uploaded wild dog photos - this is because they all have photos that contain more than a single wild dog in the image. However in each of 3 cases/users, the total # of media assets is larger than the total # of encounters. For example:

This leads us to believe that the total # of media assets under this section of My Account, is incorrect. Is there an easy fix to this or is there another way to find the correct total # of media assets?

thanks!
Maureen

Hi @ACWadmin1

Looks like we were counting annotations and not media assets. I have corrected the code to do both, and it looks like this now:

Please let me know if the numbers are now matching the expected proportions. Also please note that these calculations do not do any de-duplication. If the same image is on two or more encounters, it will be counted multiple times.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason - thanks for digging into this. I’m still a little confused by these numbers.
First, can you confirm or clarify the source of the # of annotations - does this total exclude manually created annotations?
Another question, does the annotation count include the tail annotations? If the tail annotations are not included then the number of annotations compared to the number of encounters might make sense but I’m still unsure.

I know that this user has some encounters with more than one media asset per encounter but if I compare the # of annotations to the # of encounters, I’m not sure the variation can be entirely explained by the encounters with multiple annotations / media assets in them, and/or the duplicate annotations issue you mentioned.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Maureen

Hi @ACWadmin1

First, can you confirm or clarify the source of the # of annotations - does this total exclude manually created annotations?

We count the number of annotations on every encounter that matches the search criteria. There should be no exclusions and includes manual. Some animals like African wild dogs will have likely two annotations for every animal in every photo (i.e. body plus tail).

Another question, does the annotation count include the tail annotations?

Yes, they are included.

Are you able to send me an example query string that you feel may not be respresentative?

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

Hi @jason - I think it makes sense now, thanks so much for clarifying. I also think it’s working as needed so I don’t think you need to do anything further on this request.

Thanks very much for taking care of this.

cheers
Maureen

1 Like