Unique IDs for Australia (East Coast) Grey Nurse shark population

What Wildbook are you working in? Sharkbook

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred? Windows

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing? The current automated unique numbering system for sharks appears to be across all species, and across all locations (which is really unhelpful).
What we need is separate naming conventions per shark species.
As you may be aware, in Australia the East Coast population across NSW/QLD of the Carcharias taurus is genetically distinct from West Coast Australia, South Africa and USA.
When we add a shark ID for a new shark, it currently makes a suggested ID (currently AP-186).
Could we please change this (for just the Carcharias taurus population in Australia, particularly East Coast) to be in the format GNS-0000 format?
This will allow us to rename all of our left flanks from the naming convention L0001 to GNS-0001 etc. And then when we see the “next available ID” the system could automate the next unique code available (e.g. GNS-0186 etc).
Happy to jump on a call to discuss?
Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Changing this to a feature request.

Is it just a feature request? I thought a bug because if all shark species were being pushed to use the same ID list then that would be a fault across all sharks? In the sense that the number 101, 102, 103, 104 should be sequential for each shark species.

There should never be a situation where 101 is taken by a whale shark, then 102 taken by a leopard shark, then 103 taken by a grey nurse shark etc

My understanding is that name prefixes can be set by location ID in Wildbooks, but not by species. I know that what you’re describing is how it works in Codex with IDs assigned by a species prefix followed by a number.