Viewpoint descriptions differ in Filter of Keywords vs Manual annotations

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) WIN10

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) Chrome latest

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) Admin

What happened? Trying to apply Viewpoint Keyword filters - discovered that dropdown list does not have same viewpoint names as Manual Annotations

vs

What did you expect to happen? Same dropdown lists

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?

Hi @PaulK

They are entirely different data constructs in Wildbook.

Annotation viewpoints exist only on annotations and have a very fixed list for downstream comparison of IDs (left vs left; right vs right, etc.).

Keywords exist on MediaAssets and vary from Wildbook to Wildbook and may indicate scars, unique features, tags, etc. It is an open vocabulary.

We have an ability to reflect viewpoints as Keywords after detection, but this is generally not used. Manual annotation does not kick off this process.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason - in next gen, what about changing the Add Annotation viewpoint options to the viewpoints in WBIA? I’m thinking of Up vs Top and Down vs Bottom, in particular. I’m not sure how others feel but I always get asked about up and down as viewpoints and how they should be interpreted and used. They’re a little confusing to many, me included.

thanks
Maureen

Great point! While there may have been historical reasons for “up” and “down” that @parham may remember from the original AI pipeline development, it’s worth considering.

I would recommend posting this as a feature request.

1 Like