Volunteer user password reset email problems

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? Kitizen Science

What operating system were you using? Variety

What web browser were you using? Variety

What is your role on the site? Admin/researcher.

What happened? I’ve consistently gotten feedback from some of my online volunteers that they have had problems with password reset emails. (I’m reading a recent user survey about their experience/suggestions and the password reset issue came up again.) Either the users never received an email after requesting a password reset, or they say it took “forever” to get that password reset. Jon has looked into this a bit for me and I don’t think we could find anything at fault. (I’m using Microsoft Azure in case that makes a difference.)

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? I’m curious if any other Wildbook users have had problem with password reset emails for users of their Wildbook. While I’m willing to believe some users are simply misspelling their email address, it seems like this could be a real bug.

Hi Sabrina,

Sorry that this is consistently proving a problem for you. We are now tracking the specific issue on your
platform as work ticket WB-789. This is part of a larger investigation into email consistency on Wildbook platforms. We are putting together a plan to work on emails and will provide an update when we can.

Thank you for understanding that email issues are difficult to diagnose, difficult to replicate and there may be several iterations on our end to find a solution.

Thanks, @colin! Not an urgent thing but it seems to crop up more than I’d expect.

I wanted to add to this that my third party app developer has hopefully integrated my app into Wildbook such that it should now send password reset emails for users, but trying it with my own account (“sabrinaa”) isn’t getting me any password reset emails. My app developer has tested it and said his end up in Gmail’s promotional emails tab. Maybe Wildbook emails are getting hard filtered and rejected completely?