Whiskerbook is very slow today, a lot of requests never land

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
Whiskerbook

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
Windows 10 Pro

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
Chrome Version 116.0.5845.141

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
Orgadmin

What happened?

Hi :slight_smile:

Whiskerbook seems very slow today, see examples below :

https://www.awesomescreenshot.com/video/20437828
(after 5 min, the match result with 2 pictures was still loading. I included a speed test so you can see that my internet is not too slow)

https://www.awesomescreenshot.com/video/20438295
(I tried again with one picture, it took 1 min to charge the encounter and after 3 min the match result was still loading. I included a speed test so you can see that my internet is not too slow)

Another example, trying to consult an indivual page (MOUSAI) : Whiskerbook

What did you expect to happen?
The same time as usual : I usually get around 1min20s to load a match result.

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?

Load the encouter and then click on “match results” : Whiskerbook | Login

PS : update a few hours later : all the “result matchs” delay are way longer than usual
PS2 : update the next day : still extremely slow, with a lot of request not landing (ex : Whiskerbook)

I’m looking into the wider issue of why Whiskerbook is slower than usual. I’ll follow up as soon as I have more info.

1 Like

Thanks Anastasia !!

If it can help to understand what is happening : It looks like when I log in I can almost always do a first “match result” successfully, sometimes two, and then the next ones won’t land. Then if I log out and I log in a few hours later there is the same behaviour.

WBIA is a bit slower than usual right now while we work on addressing what’s causing it.

The results page has a dependency on WBIA where it’s looking for those rendered match images and has to check WBIA if they’re available. So if WBIA is slow, it can slow down the match results page, even for old matches.

Hi @Anastasia & @jason - the slow performance of Whiskerbook goes beyond WBIA and match results. It actually is virtually unusable. I just tried a search (using the search at the top of the page where I can type in the nickname and select it from the dropdown) for an ID’d individual with very few encounters assigned and it took 5 minutes for the screen to even change and then all I got was a blank screen and the option to refresh the page. I took a video of the process and will send it separately via email.
I have multiple users complaining of an inability to use the system - actually asking if the system is down.
We urgently need this to be investigated and fixed. In particular, the French Lynx Wolf network is doing a presentation to a national audience next Tuesday - multiple regional organizations will be in attendance as well as the French government department responsible for national biodiversity.

Please help!!!

thanks
Maureen

cc: @paulk

1 Like

Understood. We’ll follow up as soon as we have updates.

1 Like

Whiskerbook was restarted. I’ve tested a few pages and they’re already loading more quickly than before, including match results.

1 Like

Thanks @ACWadmin1 and @Anastasia :pray:

Unfortunately the slowness problem is still there despite the reboot, as you can see here:
https://www.awesomescreenshot.com/video/20581561?key=1827759bae87b6af9b0e737ff71b6885
https://www.awesomescreenshot.com/video/20581638?key=c16050939be2190c0ff53c9d48dabb3b

My test of searching for a specific individual’s Marked Individual page again took 5mins before the screen changed and, again, the screen that it changed to was blank. No results displayed. It was an exact repeat of the video clip I sent earlier.

So I agree with @Lucas, re-starting the server did not solve the issue, unfortunately.

M

1 Like

:smiling_face_with_tear:

I’m taking this feedback to the rest of the team while we continue to work on this. Thanks so much for all the feedback and of course, your patience.

2 Likes

We’re continuing to work on resolving why aspects of the site are slow. I’ll check in again on Monday with any updates. Let me know if anything new crops up between now and then.

2 Likes

Wow, this is fast ! This is even faster than fast !

Since I started using Whiskerbook, a “match results” took 1min20, now it takes 3 seconds !

Thanks you so much @Anastasia and @ACWadmin1 and the rest of the team, this is REALLY a game changer (like the background masking) :heart_eyes:

The workflow is incomparable to what it was until now.

I can’t wait to know on Monday what you find :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed - it’s skookum fast now, thanks soooooooo much to the Wild Me team!!! I’ve checked the other user’s records and match results and they also seem to be displaying super fast now. I’ve emailed him to ask him to verify that this performance improvement has resolved his issues; I expect to hear early next week. If he’s still having issues, I’ll report back.

thanks again for the quick fix! (pun intended…)
Maureen

2 Likes

I’m glad it helped! An initial fix on improving the way images are indexed on the Individuals page had a cascading effect on match results.

2 Likes

Hi @Anastasia :slight_smile:

Not sure if it’s a bug or normal, but since a few days the time taken to display the list of encounters has increased significantly : from a few seconds last week to more than a minute now →
https://www.awesomescreenshot.com/video/20960409?key=c156686f956e6a2ec58457d4210c7208

I tried 2 different computers with the same result. Do you think there is something to do to have a delay closer to what it was before, please ?

I’m not sure, but I’ll see what I can find out.

1 Like