Adding public encounters to project

What Wildbook are you working in? Flukebook

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing? Sorry I just have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to add Public encounters to a Project (i.e. encounters submitted while signed out or by someone without an account).
  2. In the ‘submit encounters’ form, could there be a dropdown of projects to add an encounter to for people submitting without an account?
  3. Is there a way to add an encounter to a project from the encounter page (rather than going through the search and project management way)?
  4. Can you search by the encounter number?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @hannahh!

Yes. When you search for public encounters you want to add to a project, expand the Metadata filters menu and under Assigned to user choose “Public Data Submissions” as the username. You can refine which public encounters to include using additional search filters.

That’s not likely to change. There’s a high likelihood of public users arbitrarily choosing an unrelated project and creating more work for the researchers managing that project in cleaning up erroneous data.

Not currently. It sounds like a good candidate for a Feature Request if you want to make a new post for it.

In general yes, from the search bar in the top navigation of the site.

But if you’re trying to add a specific, single encounter to a project your best option with the current setup will likely be to enter as many of the known encounter’s details in the search filters.

You can also bulk import new encounters into projects so you don’t have to upload them first and then add them to a project later: Projects - Wild Me Documentation

1 Like

Thanks Anastasia, I’m still struggling to add public encounters to the project though. When I find the public encounter I want (a test encounter I made) and go to project management it says I cannot add it. See screenshots below.

project management

Oh, that’s interesting. I’ll have to do some testing to find out if there’s something specific to public encounters causing this. I’ll let you know when I have an update.

1 Like

Hi there, any updates?

Not yet; I’m sorry. Monday was a holiday and we’re currently dealing with the server outage mentioned here: MAINTENANCE:OUTAGE: Machine Learning Server Behind Multiple Wildbooks

I’ll share an update when I have one.

ok no worries. I’ve just got a webinar about the database tomorrow so thought I’d check. all good though

If you let me know which public encounters you want added to the project, I should be able to do that for you so you have it ready for your presentation. While I was testing, I was able to add public encounters to projects from my admin account, but not from my researcher account.

I’m waiting to hear back from my teammates to work out whether this is a bug or whether there’s a reason behind not letting public encounters get assigned to projects.

Hi @hannahh

I’ve verified that this is a bug. I’ll update here when there’s a fix for this.

Edited to add link to ticket: Public encounters can't be added to a project · Issue #329 · WildMeOrg/Wildbook · GitHub

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Can’t add Encounters to a project

This fix is included in our latest Wildbook release: Wildbook Release Notes - February 2024

Marking as resolved.