Amphibian: Life stage change

Everything is working perfectly fine now! Thank you for fixing it!

@jason
Another, just additional little thing is under
“Report an encounter” → " Do You Have Advanced Information?" → “Life stage”.
At the moment, you can only select: 1) Unknown, 2) Larve, 3) Post-metamorph, I assume for Salamandra. It would be great if you could indicate the life stage in 1) metamorph, 2) juvenile, 3) subadult and 4) adult for Bombina variegata.
This does not hurry as I am just working with Bulk Imports but would be great to have later on!

@jason @tanyastere
Hi, I just wanted to ask if there has been an update? Next weekend we have a workshop where we are presenting Wildbook to the German herpetology community and it would be great if life stages can be properly assessed for this.
If you are already working on it or are too busy, I am sorry to bother you. It would just be nice for the overall picture.

Best regards :frog:

Hi @MHederich

Wildbook only has a single set of life stages across all species. We can absolutely add these additional life stages, but my concern would be that they might start to be used in a mingled and confusing fashion if users don’t know which belongs to which.

One option would be to convert the life stages to have a species-specific prefix, like:

Sal: Larve
Sal: juvenile
Bom: adult
Bom: metamorph

etc.

Would you like them disambiguated like that, or does a single list that includes these additional life stages make sense?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @MHederich

Just checking in here. Would the above solution work, or can you suggest alternate life stage values per species?

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

Hi @jason
Thanks for checking in!
I will talk to my colleagues about it, but I would be happy with that! I see the problem and I’m glad you have a solution directly.
I’ll get back to you as soon as I have confirmation!

1 Like

Hi @jason,

After consulting, I can say that the above solution would work and we are more than happy to update the life stage!
Is it possible that the previous encounters, which were uploaded with bulk import, already have this assignment or would they have to be added manually?

Thanks,
Mona

Hi @MHederich

OK, can you confirm these changes before I make them?

Unknown → Sal:unknown
Larvae → Sal:larvae
Post-metamorph → Sal:post-metamorph
Bom:metamorph
Bom: juvenile
Bom:subadult
Bom:adult

I ask because these are persistent changes, and I would like final approval. Also please note that you will need to use exactly these values moving forward in bulk imports.

Do these look good?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason, thank you for getting back to this request.
On reflection, it is better to omit the stage “metamorph” as this could lead to confusion. Moreover let’s change “Bom: juvenile” to → “Bom: juvenil” (without the e at the end)
In addition, can we also add “Bom: unknown”?

Hi @Barbara.Caspers, do you also agree with those changes for salamandra?

OK, revising to:

Unknown → Sal:unknown
Larvae → Sal:larvae
Post-metamorph → Sal:post-metamorph
Bom: juvenil
Bom:unknown

Just need @Barbara.Caspers approval I think.

Sorry for the late reply. Here is my approval.
Do we need to do anything with the already uploaded pictures or will those be changed automatically?

Tracking as WB-1960, and it should be migrated soon.

Hi @MHederich

I followed the migration path above. Those went smoothly, but there are still other values for the species that I need to map.

For B. variegata, I found values in the database of ‘metamorph’ and ‘metamorphling’.
Should these be migrated to “Sal:metamorph”?

For S. salamandra, I found these values in the database that are not covered above:

• adult
  • juvenile
  • subadult
  • Post-metamorph (yellow/black pattern)

Should these also be migrated to Sal:adult, Sal: juvenile, etc.?

I’d like to make sure the supported form fields and the actual database entries match.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @MHederich

Can you advise how to complete this migration?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason,

Thank you for checking in again! It was decided that the term “metamorph” could lead to confusion and this was therefore taken out and the animals should be considered “juvenil”, for B. variegata at least. It would be perfect if these classified toads could be noted as “juvenil”. Otherwise I will follow up again.

For S. salamandra - @Barbara.Caspers: any advice on completing the set for Salamandra?

Thanks,
Mona

Can I ask that we resolve these? What should we map these values to?

@MHederich @Barbara.Caspers

Could you please help me with the values above so I can complete this ticket?

Thanks,
Jason

Dear JAson,
subadult is covered by post-metamorph. as soon as we can determine the sex (or as soon as any other can determine the sex), we know it is an adult, so in my opinion it is also covered by post-metamorph. Or would it be possible to add: Sal:adult?
Juvenile is covered by larvae.
so subadult and juvenile can be omitted. If possible add Sal: adult. if not omit it as well.

1 Like

Sal:adult has been added. Please use only these configured values moving forward.

Thanks,
Jason

Sal:unknown
Sal:larvae
Sal:post-metamorph
Sal:adult
Bom:juvenil
Bom:unknown

3 Likes