ARW - Automatically Assigning Viewpoint to Annotation

What Wildbook are you working in?
Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
Is there a way to assign different viewpoints (of the annotation) for different images of the same indiviudal during the same encounter in the Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook?
Let’s say, I find a fire salamander and I take a photo of the salamander from above, from one side and from below (the ventral side). Now, I want to upload all photos assigned to the same encounter, both to use these multiple images for identification and to share these images with my collaborateurs for research projects. Once, I have bulk imported my images, sent them to detection and identification and added them to my project, all images have an annotation assigned to them. However, by default the viewpoint of the annotation will be “up”. When I check match results in my project, the photos e.g., from below will also be matched against images from above. It is possible to change the viewpoint of the annotation manually, but it would be much easier to do that automatically during a bulk import. Also, provided that e.g., the belly colouration of a fire salamander is individual (just like the back colouration, which is highly likely), using multiple viewpoints would be beneficial to increase matching job efficiancy and accuracy.

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?
One example where several photos with different angles of the same individual during the same encounter were uploaded is this project: https://amphibian-reptile.wildbook.org/projects/project.jsp?id=c1d53844-8553-4194-a33d-45a67be7cda0
Both back and belly photos of the same individual are being used for matching but a belly photo should not be matched against a back photo.

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @Max.Muehlenhaupt

Can you share some example URLs to specific encounters that have multiple angles of the same salamander with the wrong viewpoint so I can look into this more?

Sure, here are some match results within the project (Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook | Login) for encounters with two photos (one from above, one from below, both have “Viewpoint: Up” in the annotation):

Cheers,

Max

Great, thanks! Let me take some time to research and I’ll let you know what I find.

Ok, here’s what I’ve learned: We only had up, left, and right viewpoint training data (and I believe the left and right were only for the juveniles), so the detection model doesn’t accommodate for belly shots. The intended use is only for top shots of adults.

My recommendation is to review your adult salamander matches from the photos of its back.

Alright, thanks @Anastasia