ARW - weird "matches" suggested but not for all photos of the animal

What Wildbook are you working in?
Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook
What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
e.g. Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook
Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?

issue 1: the suggested matches clearly do not match at all, e.g.

This makes me a little apprehensive to continue working with this software, to be honest. Is there any possibility to edit the matching parameters?

issue 2: when I click “view” on the second picture of the same encounter, I don’t get the suggestion. Does this mean, I have to check all photos of each encounter to check for possible matches?

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?

I am just following the normal matching process. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @missix

In the example you provided, HotSpotter suggested only one of 553 potential matches, and that potential match had a score so low that it rounded to 0. The ideal is to have HotSpotter suggest only the correct match. Do you know if there is any other match to the individual in the dataset? If there is not, then HotSpotter is doing a good job filtering out false positives. If you look at the “inspect” image, you can also see a bare minimum of matching (in fact the rendered hotspot is so small I can’t even see it):

In a true match, you should see a score >0 and should be able to visualize a match.

So this match is not weird or random. It is a very weak false positive, the only one of 553 that HotSpotter was even slightly fooled by.

Is there a true match that HotSpotter missed? That would be the example I would want to see to understand if HotSpotter is not doing its job correctly.

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like